PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thunderbird read messages info not syncing

andreselsuave
December 7th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Hello there!

I am using Thunderbird 8.0 and Ubuntu 11.10. I have a gmail account set up with thunderbird. The problem is that when I read some mails in gmail web interface, if I have a thunderbird app running meanwhile, the messages will still show unread unless I restart thunderbird.

Anyone knows the solution?

Andres

Krytarik
December 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Anyone knows the solution?
Nope, not really; it works here (with Thunderbird 8.0 on Lucid 10.04, and Firefox 8.0 for running the web mailer).

Only one thing: Make sure the GMail account is set up as IMAP in Thunderbird; although if you had set it up as POP3, the concerning mails would still be "unread" after re-opening Thunderbird.

Regards, and good luck!

thaelim
December 8th, 2011, 03:14 AM
As Krytarik said, ensure you have configured Thunderbird to connect to Gmail using IMAP, and also that you have set Thunderbird to periodically check for messages (that will update the read status as well).

Having said that, getting Thunderbird working 100% with Gmail takes a bit of tweaking, as a lot of the 'helpful' things Gmail does break the rules of IMAP.

Krytarik
December 8th, 2011, 03:37 PM
... and also that you have set Thunderbird to periodically check for messages (that will update the read status as well).
Yeah, true, just tested that. Funny! :-P