PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome-shell fails after nvidia driver update

md2406
December 7th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I have been having this problem since I installed ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop. After installation everything was fine, I installed gnome 3 and restarted computer. It was working fine until I upgraded nvidia driver from 173 to the "recommended" via additional drivers and restated again. I have noticed gnome with effects fails but with no effects working fine. I re-format the computer and made fresh install again and installed gnome 3. It was working again until I upgraded the nvidia driver. I have tired to install nvidia before and than gnome 3 but this did not work either. Nothing(keyboard, mouse even on/off button) when I turn it on with gnome(with effects). If somebody has any idea how to solve this, please tell me. Unity is not what I really want to use.

cybergalvez
December 7th, 2011, 05:59 AM
which nvidia drivers are you using, I remember having issues when I selected the post-release updates. selecting "version current" fixed the problem for me

md2406
December 7th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I have tried both but same thing happened. Now, i am on "current-version". just to be sure I am doing everything right, I have re-installed ubuntu 5 times and every time, I have tried post-release, current version and the others but gnome 3(with effects) just works with the default nvidia driver which is version 173. If you need more information about the system or the laptop, please just tell me what you need. I have googled it alot but it seems nobody having the same or similar issue.

cybergalvez
December 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM
which Nvidia chip does it use, I remember reading that there are some issues with the older chips

md2406
December 7th, 2011, 08:27 PM
It is Geforce Go 7300.

cybergalvez
December 8th, 2011, 07:33 PM
It is Geforce Go 7300.

That might be your problem, I think you need at least an 8xxx to get all the eye candy working, I'll see if I can verify this

Sorry I can't seem to find where I read that, perhaps someone else can either confirm or dismiss this

md2406
December 8th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I dont think so because when I use compiz with unity, there is no problem. That means eye candy works with my graphic chip.