PDA

View Full Version : Gnome-Shell and Unity, differences becoming less evident.

TheNessus
December 6th, 2011, 09:17 PM
What I love in unity is the very elegant way in which the title bar integrates into the top panel on maximized windows, and with the addition of a global menu, this makes a very efficient use of screen real-estate and simplistic minimalism that is hard to leave behind when going to Shell.

What I love about Shell is the way in which the "expose" feature works, displaying all windows, whether they are minimized or not. This did not work on unity's compiz (but does on KDE's Kwin).

With all the new and upcoming gnome-shell extensions, a well integrated title-bar-in-top-bar extension and a well integrated global menu (current ones suck) are only a matter of time. And Unity's compiz after recent updates now also FINALLY displays minimized windows in the expose feature. These are just examples... Many more features will likely be present in both unity and shell, and they won't be so unique to each environment anymore. The battle between the two will naturally subside and be present only in the realm of developers and code, but not with us normal users.

BigSilly
December 6th, 2011, 09:25 PM
It's a fair point.

Copper Bezel
December 6th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Part of the idea, really. Unity intends to be "internal competition" for Shell, and the overlay scrollbars, global menu, quicklists, disappearing title bar, etc. are all being considered in some form or another for Shell, while Unity has adapted to include Shell-like features from very early on.

Edit: And I mean that those things are being considered for upstream Gnome, not through third-party extensions.

bluexrider
December 6th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Part of the idea, really. Unity intends to be "internal competition" for Shell, and the overlay scrollbars, global menu, quicklists, disappearing title bar, etc. are all being considered in some form or another for Shell, while Unity has adapted to include Shell-like features from very early on.

Edit: And I mean that those things are being considered for upstream Gnome, not through third-party extensions.

something to look forward too and less of a spin-off or splinter group of distros