PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 10.10

ScreamingEagle
December 6th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Can someone please tell me why a disk iso of 10.10 used to work ( from cd and install ) and now all I get is it loading in memory to end up with :

General error mounting filesystems.
A maintenance shell will now be started.
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and reboot the system.
bash: groups: command not found
root@ubuntu:~#

As I stated previously, It used to load to the point of a choice of try or install and now it loads for awhile to end with the above error.

Thanks in advance. ( new to ubuntu - and it's command line usage/ context usage ):confused:

oldtimer7777
December 6th, 2011, 04:12 AM
I don't know. But a good work-around might be creating a live stick of bootable Ubuntu on Flash Drive with Startup Disc Creator. Download the iso you want to use, and put it on your Flash Drive with Startup Disc Creator, then reboot and boot from your USB Live stick of Ubuntu 10.10. Flash Drives are pretty cheap these days, around 6.99 at Staples.

Can someone please tell me why a disk iso of 10.10 used to work ( from cd and install ) and now all I get is it loading in memory to end up with :

General error mounting filesystems.
A maintenance shell will now be started.
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and reboot the system.
bash: groups: command not found
root@ubuntu:~#

As I stated previously, It used to load to the point of a choice of try or install and now it loads for awhile to end with the above error.

Thanks in advance. ( new to ubuntu - and it's command line usage/ context usage ):confused:

ScreamingEagle
December 6th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Thanks for the response. I am currently downloading a copy of ubuntu 11.10-desktop-i386.iso. Is this the same image I would use on a laptop as the original 10.10 was able to run from the iso cd as well as install. I don't understand why the disk now will not work on any systems that I have tried to use it in. All give the same error. ( two desktops with win 7, two laptops with vista home prem, and 1 laptop with xp mce 2005) I will try the 11.10 iso and get back to this forum .... this thread for followup / updates to my problems trying ubuntu...........

Thanks

oldtimer7777
December 6th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the response. I am currently downloading a copy of ubuntu 11.10-desktop-i386.iso. Is this the same image I would use on a laptop as the original 10.10 was able to run from the iso cd as well as install. I don't understand why the disk now will not work on any systems that I have tried to use it in. All give the same error. ( two desktops with win 7, two laptops with vista home prem, and 1 laptop with xp mce 2005) I will try the 11.10 iso and get back to this forum .... this thread for followup / updates to my problems trying ubuntu...........

Thanks

Well here is guide for that version after you get it installed:

https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-11-10-aka-oneiric-ocelot/