PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to 11.10 and lost Gnome panel...half of it...

geek2330
December 6th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I was running Ubuntu 11.04 and had disabled Unity bar on the left and enabled the Gnome older panel to the top of my Desktop.

After upgrading to 11.10 I lost the panel completely even though i have the entry in the start up as "gnome-panel".

So i invoked gnome-panel in terminal and it told me it wasn't installed and instructed me how to run the command in terminal to get it downloaded and installed.

When done installing I then tried gnome-panel and at the end it gave me like an error message i cannot remember now.

Well, I've got the top panel but kind of like half way, see the screenshot and on top to the left and to the right.

Can this be fixed, how??

geek2330
December 6th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I think I found a fix and using gnome-shell instead of gnome-panel.

Now, I'm using a laptop, how do I get my options in the top right corner as before? My wireless icon, my name, date/time.

geek2330
December 6th, 2011, 04:03 PM
how can I get the top right corner icons??

kurt18947
December 6th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Do you know about gnome shell extensions? Perhaps these will help you get what you want. There are a couple sources:

https://extensions.gnome.org/
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/official-gnome-shell-extensions.html

You'll want "gnome-tweak-tool" from the repos first. I left the clock/calendar in the center of the top bar but network/sound etc. are in the upper right by default. The one shortcoming I've found on both 'classic' gnome & shell is that I can't change printer defaults e.g. print quality, default paper tray, that sort of thing. I can change them from Unity by right-clicking the printer icon. Right-click seems inactive on classic & shell.

geek2330
December 6th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Ok, I started from scratch and decided to reinstall Ubuntu 11.10 because i wanted to resize all partitions in the drive.

So I now have a new 11.10 with the Ubuntu Unity toolbar to the left of the screen.

I don't want to mess it up so the simple question is: best way to disable the Unity toolbar on the left and get the older panel on the top? The older panel is the one that has :

-Applications/Places/System on the top left
-Icons on the top right: wireless, speaker, time, username, etc.

bluexrider
December 6th, 2011, 09:39 PM
i used the gnome fallback because its more like the old gnome.

geek2330
December 6th, 2011, 10:10 PM
i used the gnome fallback because its more like the old gnome.

How?