PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Is Xfce over Lubuntu faster than Xubuntu?

bonheur1
December 6th, 2011, 03:00 AM
I had to switch from Xubuntu to Lubuntu because Xubuntu ran very slowly on my computer, but I found Lxde to be somewhat less user friendly than Xfce.

So would installing Xfce over Lubuntu consume as much system resources as Xubuntu did?

oldtimer7777
December 6th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I had to switch from Xubuntu to Lubuntu because Xubuntu ran very slowly on my computer, but I found Lxde to be somewhat less user friendly than Xfce.

So would installing Xfce over Lubuntu consume as much system resources as Xubuntu did?

No, it would be slimmer to use LXDE/Lubuntu/Openbox verses Xfce or Xubuntu.

3Miro
December 6th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Xubuntu does load some extra things that plain XFCE doesn't, so simply installing xfce4 package may result in a snappier system, however, the improvement should be pretty small. You can give it a try.

In my experience, OpenBox is the snappier WM, so anything LXDE or OpenBox based would be snappier than XFCE.

oldtimer7777
December 6th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Xubuntu does load some extra things that plain XFCE doesn't, so simply installing xfce4 package may result in a snappier system, however, the improvement should be pretty small. You can give it a try.

In my experience, OpenBox is the snappier WM, so anything LXDE or OpenBox based would be snappier than XFCE.

The fastest I know that is still Ubuntu 11.10 is Madbox 11.10 and is Pure Openbox with Adeskbar.

http://download.tuxfamily.org/madbox/madbox-11.10/

bonheur1
December 6th, 2011, 03:15 AM
So I have to stick with, either, plain OpenBox or Lxde?

Running Lubuntu instead of Xubuntu is like night and day on my computer.

phidia
December 6th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Maybe provide your system specs and/or consider some kind of upgrading-like more ram?

bluexrider
December 6th, 2011, 07:56 PM
you may also want to remember that whenever you add a windows manager it also puts more items in your menu. you will find that it may also have a negative improvement and rather cluttered

bluexrider
December 6th, 2011, 07:58 PM
never heard of this one MADBOX?

The fastest I know that is still Ubuntu 11.10 is Madbox 11.10 and is Pure Openbox with Adeskbar.

http://download.tuxfamily.org/madbox/madbox-11.10/

snowpine
December 6th, 2011, 08:02 PM
xfce4-core is "lighter" than xubuntu-desktop, give it a try.

oldtimer7777
December 6th, 2011, 08:10 PM
never heard of this one MADBOX?

Never heard of Adeskbar? It is where they probably got the idea for Unity deskbar. lol

Same developer, just his personal custom version of Ubuntu 11.10 with adeskbar preconfigured. Very minimal.

Much faster than anything else I have tried when it comes to custom 11.10 distos out there..

bluexrider
December 6th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Never heard of Adeskbar? It is where they probably got the idea for Unity deskbar. lol

Same developer, just his personal custom version of Ubuntu 11.10 with adeskbar preconfigured. Very minimal.

Much faster than anything else I have tried when it comes to custom 11.10 distos out there..

No, I was talking about MADBOX not adeskbar. I've used adeskbar its deferentially light

snowpine
December 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM
No, I was talking about MADBOX not adeskbar. I've used adeskbar its deferentially light

Same developer, Madbox is the showcase distro for adeskbar. :)

bonheur1
December 6th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I've got an old E2220 running at 2.40Ghz with as much ram as I can have on a 32-bit system. I'm running this Lubuntu distribution on a VirtualBox machine and all I'm using Lubuntu for is g++, Python, Geany, Chromium, nano, vim, leafpad, the terminal (bash), Pidgin, etc.

Would my setup not be adequate for my current needs?

bonheur1
December 8th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Should I add any other information about my computer setup not included in the above post?

Thanks in advance! :)

Guilden_NL
December 11th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Another path that I might suggest is looking into LXDE in depth. I tried it a little over a year ago and was put off by lack of customization of the desktop, even minimum things like adding/changing/deleting menu items.

But with unholy mess of Unity pushing me to move all of my 9 systems and many friends who I got started on Ubuntu, to something else like Mint or Lubuntu, dead stock Debian or ? made me take another look at Lubuntu.

Once I got into it a bit, I found a GUI menu editor, http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=83926 ,
that the mainstream Ubuntu Software Manager works with Lubuntu (a beta version for Lubuntu still has many bugs, and though I am fine with Synaptic, my friends prefer the software center) and other easy adds that make the LXDE desktop a lot more friendly.

I left one old system on Xubuntu just to compare, and I am already thinking of moving it to Lubuntu so I can speed it up by 50% or more.

bonheur1
December 11th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I'll certainly keep using Lubuntu/Lxde for the time being and Lxmed (LXMenuEditor) may come in handy at some point. Thank you for your advice!

Sometimes the graphics render all funny when I'm doing things like sorting my Chromium tabs, but the system seems quite usable for my needs. This shouldn't be a problem since the host O.S. is Win7 for office work.