PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what .files do I need to delete to return to default?

BetterSense
December 6th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I just installed 11.10, but I have my old config files in my home directory and I don't think what I'm seeing is the normal/default/stock configuration in terms of graphics themes. And also, it keeps asking me for the password to my default keyring, behavior which I'm sure is leftover from a botched Mint install. I just want to start over with the absolute fresh 11.10 behavior in everything, but I still want to use my home directory.

I tried renaming .gnome2 and .gconf but that didn't seem to fix my ugly colors and keyring issue. Should I just delete basically every file in home that starts with '.'? Is there a master "return to default' button or command?

Mark Phelps
December 6th, 2011, 09:45 PM
This is one of the main reasons I never do "upgrades" -- you don't know what's going to fail afterward and it can be major work trying to figure out how to fix it.

And sorry, not aware of any simple "undo" operation that will restore your previous settings.