PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade From Lucid 10.04.3 LTS or not?

NM5TF
December 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM
can anyone tell me what are the pros/cons for upgrading from Lucid 10.04.3 LTS to the "newest" LTS distro???:confused:

I have been extremely happy with Lucid & don't want to upgrade just to have the "latest & greatest"....:P

TIA

Tom

mörgæs
December 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Only you can answer that. If you try 11.10 in a live boot you don't have to trust our opinion.

NM5TF
December 5th, 2011, 04:16 PM
that is correct, only I can make that decision....

maybe I should rephrase the question as follows:

is there any advantage to upgrading to the latest distro???

what type problems can I expect going from 10.04.3 LTS to 11.10??

I have noticed that the only LTS distro listed is 10.04.3...is there really
no other LTS distro after 10.04.3???

I am downloading a live CD of 11.10 to try for myself...

I was just looking for a litle info before doing the upgrade...

Tom

2F4U
December 5th, 2011, 06:51 PM
what type problems can I expect going from 10.04.3 LTS to 11.10??

You only need to read through the forum to get an impression what can go wrong with 11.10. However, I am running Xubuntu 11.10 without any problem, so the forum post just show what could happen.

I have noticed that the only LTS distro listed is 10.04.3...is there really
no other LTS distro after 10.04.3???

The next LTS will be 12.04 since LTS releases are coming every two years.

I know nothing about you, so really can't give an advice. If I install an LTS release on a machine, then I do that with a purpose and that is that I want it to be stable and reliable. I then don't care much about current software.
If I want to have the latest and greatest I go with the current release, but then I am prepared that things may get a bit rough sometimes.

snowpine
December 5th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I have been extremely happy with Lucid & don't want to upgrade just to have the "latest & greatest"....:P

That's the best argument I can think of for staying with 10.04. It will be fully supported through April 2013 so enjoy it! :)

NM5TF
December 5th, 2011, 08:49 PM
That's the best argument I can think of for staying with 10.04. It will be fully supported through April 2013 so enjoy it! :)

I agree totally!!!

I burnt a live Cd of 11.10 & have been trying it....it is waaaaay different
than 10.04...either I did something wrong, or just didn't know how to use
the new interface (Unity???)....so far, I plan to stick with 10.04.....:guitar:

aphatak
December 5th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I use four monitors on my desktop machine, and no version later than 10.04 LTS works with a single desktop on all four. I am sticking with 10.04.
I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do, but making sure your setup works with the new version before taking the plunge appears to be indicated.

mörgæs
December 5th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I agree totally!!!

I burnt a live Cd of 11.10 & have been trying it....it is waaaaay different
than 10.04...either I did something wrong, or just didn't know how to use
the new interface (Unity???)....so far, I plan to stick with 10.04.....:guitar:

Nothing wrong with staying with 10.04, but if you for some reason can't use it, Xubuntu 11.10 is worth trying as mentioned above.

If you don't want to burn a CD again you could just watch a few demos on Youtube.