PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight ICEWM environment.

kio_http
December 5th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Hi, I am thinking of making a lightweight ICEWM setup, what are some light applications you would suggest to go with this for web browser etc.

Pogeymanz
December 5th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Use feh or Nitrogen to set the wallpaper.
Claws-Mail for email
xfce4-power-manager if you have a laptop
parcellite for clipboard
Thunar or PCManFM for file managers
ePDFView or Evince for PDF viewing
Mirage for viewing images (I have custom actions to set a picture as wallpaper using feh)

For web browser, I'd just stick with whatever you're using. I like that Firefox, Chromium, and Opera have lots of features. And with all the resources you'll be saving by using other light apps, it wont matter if your web browser uses lots of memory.

If you want to try some lightweight alternatives anyway, try Midori, Arora, or even Epiphany if you have gnome installed.

TeoBigusGeekus
December 5th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Claws-Mail for email
parcellite for clipboard
Mirage for viewing images (I have custom actions to set a picture as wallpaper using feh)

For web browser, I'd just stick with whatever you're using. I like that Firefox, Chromium, and Opera have lots of features. And with all the resources you'll be saving by using other light apps, it wont matter if your web browser uses lots of memory.

If you want to try some lightweight alternatives anyway, try Midori, Arora, or even Epiphany if you have gnome installed.

Pretty much this, except I'd use geeqie for viewing images.

BrokenKingpin
December 5th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Claws-Mail for email
parcellite for clipboard

This with Chromium as the web browser. I know it isn't exactly a light application, but I found it faster than Firefox. If you do want super light though you could try Midori, which is very nice, but not as feature rich as Chromium.

3Miro
December 5th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I have a Compiz only WM setup on one of my machines. Here are some of the apps that I use:

- Chromium: not light, but powerful. Midori lacks some features, and between FF and Chromium you have mostly a tie in "weight".
- Thunar file-manager, I find PCManFM a bit buggy.
- GPickView for images
- Parole for media (maybe in combination with Audacious)
- Leafpad for text files
- Geany for more advanced text file editing
- Xfce4-Terminal is my preference, although LXTerminal is also pretty good
- LXTaskmanager is IMO better than XFCE Taskmanager

If you need a panel LXPanel or XFCE-panel should work well. There are other possibilities out there, but I am not familiar with them. On my Compiz setup I use Avant-Windows-Navigator, which isn't particularly light.

snowpine
December 5th, 2011, 08:07 PM
What are your hardware specs? That would be very helpful for giving you recommendations.

Assuming your computer meets the Ubuntu System Requirements (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements) then I recommend Firefox for browsing, Abiword/Gnumeric for office, evince for PDF, and your choice of file manager/text edit/image viewer/etc because these apps use very little system resources compared to your web browser and office suite.

koleoptero
December 5th, 2011, 08:47 PM
-Midnight Commander for file manager
-irssi for irc
-centerim for instant messaging
-elinks for web browsing
-cmus/moc/ncmpcpp+mpd for music
-vim for text editing
-wordgrinder for word processing
-mplayer for videos

keithpeter
December 6th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Hello All

Some interesting suggestions here.

+1 for feh, add scrot for screengrabs. Bind it to a menu item.

I'd also suggest dmenu from the suckless-tools package as a light weight pseudo-dash. I used dmenu to start apps when other apps were full screened. I like to run things from the keyboard.

See

http://sohcahtoa.org.uk/linux/dmenu.html

for general idea. You'd be using the icewm config for key binding for dmenu_run though.

zer010
December 6th, 2011, 01:41 AM
-Midnight Commander for file manager
-irssi for irc
-centerim for instant messaging
-elinks for web browsing
-cmus/moc/ncmpcpp+mpd for music
-vim for text editing
-wordgrinder for word processing
-mplayer for videos

Wouldn't that setup almost negate the need for a WM? ^_-?

szymon_g
December 6th, 2011, 01:48 AM
oh, yeah.
why help with already existing projects /like: lxde or xfce/ if someone can "invent" (= just 'glue' already existing software from different vendors) a new one...
now wonder linux has +/- 1% of desktop usage :/

but seriously: what's wrong with those DEs mentioned by me earlier?

andrew.46
January 7th, 2012, 01:07 AM
- Xfce4-Terminal is my preference, although LXTerminal is also pretty good

Perhaps try sakura as well, a beautiful lightweight terminal emulator.