PDA

View Full Version : up to date guide on setting up a good mythbuntu system

miesnerd
December 5th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Hey Everyone
I'm looking to eventually set up a mythbuntu system over the next year or so, and I want to do it on the cheap. I'm a longtime ubuntu user/distro hopper.

After doing some reading, I think I want to have an all in one system- ie- frontend and backend in the same box.

Ultimately, all I want to do is be able to watch TV, watch videos that I have on a drive, and DVR. All my other needs are met. I have a PS3, too, if that factors in (for playing blueray discs) but my wife will probably not be thrilled about using the PS3.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Miesnerd

thatguruguy
December 5th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Was there a question hidden in there somewhere?

miesnerd
December 5th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Was there a question hidden in there somewhere?

haha sorry. I guess I'm wondering about hardware specs, because all I saw was really vague. If I want one box to do it all, and as cheaply as possible, what hardware should I get?

nickrout
December 6th, 2011, 12:20 AM
There will be as many ideas on this as there are people who reply. But basically you haven't said what TV you want to record, so it is hard to advise on hardware.

Where do you live?

How is TV delivered in your area (OTA digital, OTA analogue, Satellite, Cable, IPTV, carrier pigeon?)

How many channels do you want to record at once?

miesnerd
December 6th, 2011, 12:22 AM
There will be as many ideas on this as there are people who reply. But basically you haven't said what TV you want to record, so it is hard to advise on hardware.

Where do you live?

How is TV delivered in your area (OTA digital, OTA analogue, Satellite, Cable, IPTV, carrier pigeon?)

How many channels do you want to record at once?

My bad guys- I dont even know the right questions to ask, apparently!

I am a Texan currently trapped in the land locked parallelogram that is Tennessee. We get cable via Comcast (might get dish in the future). Ideally, recording 1 channel at a time will probably be fine. If it was possible and not costly, being able to record 5-6 channels (college football on saturdays) would be kicking- but I dont expect to do that.

Really, I want college football games, sitcoms, and movies, and in HD when possible.

nickrout
December 6th, 2011, 01:23 AM
My bad guys- I dont even know the right questions to ask, apparently!

I am a Texan currently trapped in the land locked parallelogram that is Tennessee. We get cable via Comcast (might get dish in the future). Ideally, recording 1 channel at a time will probably be fine. If it was possible and not costly, being able to record 5-6 channels (college football on saturdays) would be kicking- but I dont expect to do that.

Really, I want college football games, sitcoms, and movies, and in HD when possible.

From what i see on the mailing list, comcast encrypt a good deal of their channels, you will likely need some local advice.

newlinux
December 6th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Comcast often has the local networks affiliates unencrypted (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/CW/PBS) and you can usually get those via a QAM tuner in HD. Premiums and other stations will require a capture device (HD-PVR) to get them in Hi def.