PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my memory

CryptAck
December 5th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I wish upgrading my memory was as easy as my computers'; ~$50 dollars and it's doubled.

Well, there is this pesky issue of having to wait for it to be delivered. Still not a bad trade to be able to retain more...

IWantFroyo
December 5th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I barely use any of my RAM. All I keep open is a browser and a word processor.

KiwiNZ
December 5th, 2011, 02:50 AM
I barely use any of my RAM. All I keep open is a browser and a word processor.

Why?

Ram is for using, it's not an ornament.

wolfen69
December 5th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Why?

Ram is for using, it's not an ornament.

I think Froyo means that all he does is surf and write documents, not that he is trying to conserve memory.

Khakilang
December 5th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I was wondering whether I can use my old pen drive to add more memory to the computer? Since I got some old pen drive lying around.

CharlesA
December 5th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I was wondering whether I can use my old pen drive to add more memory to the computer? Since I got some old pen drive lying around.
I don't think that works.

Paqman
December 5th, 2011, 05:28 PM

It would be so slow as to be of very minimal advantage.

mamamia88
December 5th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I don't think that works.

I remember in vista there was a feature that was like that. You could allocate flash memory to be used like ram.

CharlesA
December 5th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I remember in vista there was a feature that was like that. You could allocate flash memory to be used like ram.
Aye, that was ReadyBoost or some such thing. It's on Vista and 7, but I don't know how much of a performance boost it would give you since I've never bothered because I have 8GB of RAM in my main rig.

MG&TL
December 5th, 2011, 05:51 PM
About readyboost-see this thread-

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1835982

IWantFroyo
December 5th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I think Froyo means that all he does is surf and write documents, not that he is trying to conserve memory.

This is correct. I never really need much. Unless you're doing a lot of stuff with graphics, you can get by with very low RAM.

I've been thinking of getting out an old ~1999 computer and loading Arch Linux on it, just to see if it'll run CLI-only.

Plumtreed
December 5th, 2011, 09:39 PM

Not the same thing but if you google 'Webupd8 zram' you will find a system for making a virtual ram that seems to be effective.....works on Ubuntu. Some derivative operating systems, like Pinguy have it installed.

I tried it on PeppermintOS and it appears to work.....but no 'bench-mark' testing done by me, just impressions:confused:

wolfen69
December 5th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I think "readyboost" is kind of a moot point on a modern system.

CharlesA
December 5th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I think "readyboost" is kind of a moot point on a modern system.
Agreed. When you have a boatload of RAM, what good is another 2GB going to do?

Khakilang
December 6th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Not the same thing but if you google 'Webupd8 zram' you will find a system for making a virtual ram that seems to be effective.....works on Ubuntu. Some derivative operating systems, like Pinguy have it installed.

I tried it on PeppermintOS and it appears to work.....but no 'bench-mark' testing done by me, just impressions:confused:

It will be good if it work. On occasion if needed for certain job that require bigger memory. Like graphic design. At least I can put the pen drives to good use. :popcorn:

CryptAck
December 10th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Memory upgrade complete; I'm happy to report all appears to be working well! :)

wolfen69
December 11th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Memory upgrade complete; I'm happy to report all appears to be working well! :)

How much did you put in?

CryptAck
December 11th, 2011, 02:08 AM
How much did you put in?

Originally had four, went to eight. Nothing drastic or extreme, but it appears to have helped quite a bit in game play.

iiiears
December 11th, 2011, 03:07 AM
This is correct. I never really need much. Unless you're doing a lot of stuff with graphics, you can get by with very low RAM.

I've been thinking of getting out an old ~1999 computer and loading Arch Linux on it, just to see if it'll run CLI-only.

Have you seen the RasberryPI ($25US)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Environmentally friendly low power computer. Perfect for experimenting.

or ShivaPlug/PogoPlug/etc? (Reflash w/modded ROMs)

Best wishes.