PDA

View Full Version : [other] Displaying Files and Forlders for Work

Straydog
December 5th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I am Windows user trying to move. I used DOS before Windows, but I have a few problems. One of them is that I often work with files, and Windows Explorer makes it very practical and with quick access. I wonder if in Linux I can have something like explorer's display. I have been trying ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso in a live USB and couldn't do anything even close. At least the tree is always missing, not allowing quick jumps between folders and drives. Maybe I missed something... ](*,)

ManualSparrow
December 5th, 2011, 02:53 AM
In generic Ubuntu the file manager is called Nautilus. To make sure that's what you're talking about, hit Alt-F2 to bring up the run dialog and type
nautilus and hit enter. Is that what you're looking for, or did you already see it and just find it lacking?

Xo-Mige
December 5th, 2011, 03:18 AM
If you are talking about a folder tree on the side then thunar make work better then nautilus thunar can be found in the ubuntu software center

Seq
December 5th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I am Windows user trying to move. I used DOS before Windows, but I have a few problems. One of them is that I often work with files, and Windows Explorer makes it very practical and with quick access. I wonder if in Linux I can have something like explorer's display. I have been trying ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso in a live USB and couldn't do anything even close. At least the tree is always missing, not allowing quick jumps between folders and drives. Maybe I missed something... ](*,)

You can change the sidebar from the 'places' view to a classic 'tree'. Go to the 'View' > 'Sidebar', and click 'Tree'.

Straydog
December 7th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Thank you very much for the replies. All of them were very useful for me and I could do everything. Knowing so little of Linux everything help. I wish it was more like DOS, which I knew reasonably well and was now easier to remember.

Mark Phelps
December 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM
A file manager very similar to what's available in Windows is Gnome-commander. It offers options of dual panels along with other stuff. It can be installed through the Software Center.