PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [HOWTO] Burning an uncorrupted installation media: do not use MD5 checks (use SHA256)

mo.mashi
December 4th, 2011, 06:37 PM
INTRO:

Yesterday, I downloaded and tried to install Ubuntu 11.10. I kept burning disk with errors despite the fact that my downloaded ISO's MD5 corresponded to the signature on Ubuntu's website. After a while of chasing after my own tail, it occurred that I could be dealing with a HASH collision. A collision is when two different files are similar enough that they produce the same HASH signatures. The longer the HASH key produced by an algorithm, the less a collision is likely. Length is measured in bits. MD5 is a 128bit algorithm which works well for distinguishing smaller files but at the size of DVD ISOs, it gives collisions. Meaning that it won't pick small levels of corruption in a DVD download. BAD! It gave a collision with me. When I ran SHA256 on my ISO, it didn't pass comparison with the SHA256 signatures posted by Ubuntu (whereas the MD5s were matching). So, having come across these issues, I decided make this make this HOWTO for other people that may have come across the problems of corrupted installation media.

SOLUTION:

STEPS TO BURNING A GOOD INSTALLATION MEDIA AND VERIFYING IT:

[1] MAKE SURE YOUR ISO DOWNLOADED CORRECTLY

Don't verify the download with MD5! It's too weak: if a downloaded DVD/CD image is only slightly corrupted, it may still give you a passing MD5 (this happened to me). Ubuntu also gives out the SHA256 signatures of their media. Much less risk of a collision (that's when two different files come out with the same hash signature). I found the SHA256 signatures here:

http://sles-smt.uni-konstanz.de/linrz/linrz.hiwi.rz.uni-konstanz.de/images/ubuntu/checksums

open the prompt, go to the directory of your iso and type:

sha256sum <put the name of your ISO here>.iso

Eg:
sha256sum ubuntu-11.10-dvd-amd64.iso

if sha256sum doesn't work, download and install the jacksum package and execute the following command:

jacksum -a SHA256 <name of your iso>.iso

)

Compare to results of the web.

[2] WHEN YOU BURN YOUR CD/DVD, use slowest speed your burner hardware can handle and check the verify CD/DVD option in your burning software.

[3] WHEN YOU BOOT YOUR CD/DVD: use the check CD/DVD option.

It may be a bit more work then your used to but trust me, the last thing you want to be doing is running a corrupted installation. At the best, the installer will quit on you, at the worst, you'll be running a corrupted OS without realizing it....

drdos2006
December 4th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Nice pickup.

regards