PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Customization Kit

forcecore
December 4th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Is there any UCK users, what for and why you use UCK? share your experience.

UCK is like nLite was for Windows XP. UCK gives meaning for Ubuntu because you install and remove whatever you want and it is best for creating offline install .iso-s. Without UCK Ubuntu isn't same.

For example my .iso-s contain VLC, Pidgin, Abiword, Scite, n2n vpn, QT4 libraries, etc... meanwhile my typical .iso size is 580-630mb only(11.04 is what i use currently).

UCK ppa (https://launchpad.net/~uck-team/+archive/uck-stable)

trevtoo
January 18th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Hi, I'm just thinking of having a look. Is there a Windows version, or do you have to install Ubuntu first, then use UCK to modify another version of Ubuntu that you can then try out as a live CD or then install?
Trev

bluexrider
January 18th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Is there a Windows version
NO

or do you have to install Ubuntu first
YES

then use UCK to modify another version of Ubuntu
NO, it works on the OS you have currently installed

trevtoo
January 18th, 2012, 06:39 PM
OK, thanks for that.
Trev

FuturePilot
January 18th, 2012, 10:21 PM
NO, it works on the OS you have currently installed

No it doesn't. It works by unpacking, modifying, and repacking an ISO. Remastersys works on the current installation.

bluexrider
January 18th, 2012, 10:34 PM
No it doesn't. It works by unpacking, modifying, and repacking an ISO. Remastersys works on the current installation.
Okay then, the last time I used UCK I am sure I was using it on the current installation and not remastersys. I may have been mistaken...

forcecore
January 18th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I like UCK better than Remastersys because this edits .iso directly without installing tons of extra packages in system. I hope that 12.04 will work great with UCK soon.