PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else reinstall often?

Alwimo
December 4th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I have a problem. I reinstall my OS often as I irrationally feel it gets "unclean", or I might want to try something else (but I almost always always go back to what I had before) but it's usually because it feels "unclean". The longest I've gone in the last 9 months might be not reinstalling for 5 days. I often do it once a day, or every second day.

I regularly promise myself that this time will be my last and I'll stick with this install, but I haven't been right yet.

I suppose it doesn't interfere with my life much. It can install in the background when I'm doing something else, or if I'm using the computer I can install with the Try Ubuntu option. And I have everything on external drives so nothing is lost. But it's still a problem that I want to stop.

Anyone else like this, to the same or different degree?

lisati
December 4th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Did a fresh install on my server box a few days ago, first time in nearly 2 years. The last time for that machine was interrupted in the small hours of the morning by a nearby house fire.

capink
December 4th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Since moving to linux I have never reinstalled my system. Even when I break my system, which happens rarely, I restore it back from a tarball backup.

kio_http
December 4th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I just upgrade and never reinstall. The only time that I do reinstall is if I want to change the partitioning and such

apt-get purge exists for a reason!

keithpeter
December 4th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I have a problem. I reinstall my OS often as I irrationally feel it gets "unclean", or I might want to try something else (but I almost always always go back to what I had before) but it's usually because it feels "unclean".

Hello Alwimo

I have two operating systems on this PC, one is Debian Squeeze and it will stay there until the new Stable is released. This installation has a separate home partition with the bulk of the storage on the drive.

The other is changeable, at present it is Ubuntu 11.10 running Unity 2d so I can learn to use the new interface. This second installation is in one small partition but it mounts the Debian home partition to access music and documents and so on.

This way I can dabble but always return to a stable working system when I have to get things done.

As another poster has mentioned, the 'unclean' thing usually means bits of config files left over &c, and purge and rm-ing all dot files can help with that if you are using a home drive shared between operating systems.

PS: do you ever write up your adventures? Howtos? Reviews on a blog? Get to enjoy your compulsion at the same time making something that might help someone else?

forcecore
December 4th, 2011, 01:36 PM
thats why i use portable apps and keep track of every package installed so later i can revert 100% back (3rd party software not updates).

*^kyfds(
December 4th, 2011, 01:41 PM
i've had to resintall ubuntu like 3 times because of general problems with drive partitioning (such as my primary partition going RAW).

i'm going to have to reinstall it one more time because of a dodgy ISO during my last install (causing the boot loader tonot work properly)

smellyman
December 4th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I do it all the time. Linux just makes it to simple to do.

I am on an arch install for 6 months on my desktop and I am sticking with it.

My laptop gets reinstalled often.

Stovey
December 4th, 2011, 03:01 PM
...The longest I've gone in the last 9 months might be not reinstalling for 5 days. I often do it once a day, or every second day...

:shock: Wow! That seems excessive. I agree, installing the OS is fun, but if you do it everyday doesn't it take the fun out of it?

I re-install once every 6 months. ;)

I look forward to the new Ubuntu release, and maybe waiting for it is part of the fun? Just like X-mas, it probably wouldn't be so great if it came every day.

CharlesA
December 4th, 2011, 03:05 PM
My current server install has been "up" since:

up 256 days, 01:23:04 | since Tue Mar 22 15:55:08 2011

Don't feel like doing the math, but it's been around 8 months or so.

My uptime is different, since I've had to reboot to get new kernels, but that was the total time that machine has been up and running.

lswb
December 4th, 2011, 04:33 PM
If you mean that you install a NEW operating system or version every 9 months or so, I would say you have a healthy sense of adventure and interest in the latest developments. If you mean that you reinstall the SAME version every 9 months or less, I would say that is a case of OCD! :)

Frogs Hair
December 4th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Installing the latest release every 6 months is plenty for me . Installation goes fast , but getting extra applications , PPAS , codecs , Firefox extensions , and themes takes time . The further away form release day the more updates there are to install each time .

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 4th, 2011, 10:52 PM
If you reinstall that often, then you may want to look into virtualization. You should have a dual core processor and 4 GB of RAM for virtualization to work smoothly.

I have test machines for experimenting with applications and learning about computers.

The test machines have a Linux host operating system with a hypervisor installed on them. The host operating system is only updated with security and recommended patches.

I run Virtualbox, WMware, QEMU, or other hypervisor in order to run Virtual Machines (VM's) of other operating systems (guest OS).

After I install the guest OS VM on the hypervisor and get it configured the way I want it I make a snapshot of the guest OS VM.

After I play with a guest OS VM to the point that it no longer works, I simply delete it and restore the guest OS VM from the snapshot. Restoring from a snapshot only takes a few minutes.

wolfen69
December 4th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Just every 6 months when a new ubuntu comes out. But I do have an extra hard drive I use for testing different distros every so often.

JayKay3OOO
December 4th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I used to do this because I was a little bored of my computer and kept looking for something new and better to use on it.

I cut my computer use time and started doing more things that do not require the computer. The result was that when I needed to use the computer it's just an operating system and the reason for it's existence is so I can do tasks that I need the computer for. I'm not using whatever OS I use to brag to friends or win points in internet forums. If using the OS you use means it plays the files you want, interacts with your phone, and connects to the internet then it's doing the job you specified for it.

Why are you always trying the different versions of Linux? Have you not found a distro you like with a desktop environment that suits you?

You will come to get bored of installing different desktop environments and distributions as you will find that every version of Linux is essentially the same under the hood. Most versions have simply been re-packaged with some custom and repo based software and setups that the creator thinks will be of use or look nice.

Linux does not get so dirty and if your files are well organised then your system will feel un-cluttered. The 'slow' feeling is often due to a slow hard drive.

It's easy to get in a mess with files and folders so it's important to constantly make sure you do your housekeeping and keep your computer organised and name stuff logically so you can always find the things you need and cut down on the stuff you don't.

No operating is perfect & computers are dreadful time wasters so you should stop wasting your time.

cgroza
December 4th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I do a fresh Ubuntu install every 6 months. But I mainly use my Slackware install, and thanks to its design, I never have to do a full reinstall, just a specific series.

bluexrider
December 4th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I have several partitions that i "KEEP" as normal, ya know Home Folder, Downloads etc. Anyway I also have 1 which use to TEST distros in. It may get formatted or reformatted every other month but not to the extreme as what you are posting.

I have a problem. I reinstall my OS often as I irrationally feel it gets "unclean", or I might want to try something else (but I almost always always go back to what I had before) but it's usually because it feels "unclean". The longest I've gone in the last 9 months might be not reinstalling for 5 days. I often do it once a day, or every second day.

I regularly promise myself that this time will be my last and I'll stick with this install, but I haven't been right yet.

I suppose it doesn't interfere with my life much. It can install in the background when I'm doing something else, or if I'm using the computer I can install with the Try Ubuntu option. And I have everything on external drives so nothing is lost. But it's still a problem that I want to stop.

Anyone else like this, to the same or different degree?

Alwimo
December 5th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

Deleting config files could help with it sometimes. It's mostly psychological, though. I don't think using a virtual machine would help me with that.

If you mean that you install a NEW operating system or version every 9 months or so, I would say you have a healthy sense of adventure and interest in the latest developments. If you mean that you reinstall the SAME version every 9 months or less, I would say that is a case of OCD! :)
It doesn't fit the criteria for OCD, but it is what people generally think of it as being.

drawkcab
December 5th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

Deleting config files could help with it sometimes. It's mostly psychological, though. I don't think using a virtual machine would help me with that.

It doesn't fit the criteria for OCD, but it is what people generally think of it as being.

I would have suggested OCPD:

Obsessive–compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) is a personality disorder characterized by a pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and mental and interpersonal control at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency.

OCPD has some of the same symptoms as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). However, people with OCD have unwanted thoughts, while people with OCPD believe that their thoughts are correct.

Alwimo
December 5th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I do not fit the criteria for that either. Tangentially, psychology is my area of expertise. I work at a mental health support service.

I am a perfectionist only when it comes to my computer, and I recognise it is not a good thing. However, it's not particularly bad. It doesn't interfere with my life much at all.

Khakilang
December 5th, 2011, 09:29 AM
On my WIndow days. I would re install twice a year. Problem being attack by virus and system getting slow. But on Linux is usually when I break something and doesn't know how to fix it. Re install is my best option. But I try not to make it a habit. Since I have to install quite a number of software for my usage.