PDA

View Full Version : Intel Identity Protection Technology

Kolusion
December 4th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Closed-source features swamping new computer technology. A couple of nights ago I checked out Intel's website to get an update where we stand in desktop computer power. Whilst looking, I noticed Intel's new identity protection technology called Identity Protection Technology. Its hardware-based authentication built into the mother board, and operates using its own MCU. How do people feel about all these newer technologies being embedded into motherboards? I am a security conscious person, so I don't like Intel's IDT because it adds more closed-source technology into my computer, which I cannot remove.

Thewhistlingwind
December 4th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I wouldn't rely on the security of any hardware based technology. (Besides crypto entropy chips. And even then not really.) On another note, I don't mean to freak you out but...considering that the whole chipset (And chips themselves) is/are proprietary, you can't really trust ANY hardware.

Except maybe stuff like the arduino.

Kolusion
December 4th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Yeah I know, but its just another closed-source thing that I feel someone else other than me can use to try and access my system. I.E: A Government.

red_Marvin
December 4th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't rely on the security of any hardware based technology. (Besides crypto entropy chips. And even then not really.) On another note, I don't mean to freak you out but...considering that the whole chipset (And chips themselves) is/are proprietary, you can't really trust ANY hardware.

Except maybe stuff like the arduino.

Why would you draw the line at the arduino? That they are not really comparable to computers when it comes to use cases, you still don't have control over what goes on in the silicon...