PDA

View Full Version : Linux or Ubuntu

Kolusion
December 4th, 2011, 03:01 AM
How do people using Ubuntu say which operating system they use? Do they say they use Linux? Ubuntu? Ubuntu Linux? Linux-based operating system? UNIX-like operating system? This is what pisses me off about Linux, it doesn't have an identity.

Bachstelze
December 4th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Depends whom I am talking to, and for what purpose.

VeeDubb
December 4th, 2011, 04:41 AM
This is what pisses me off about Linux, it doesn't have an identity.

I don't know if it "pisses me off," but I do find it frustrating, and suspect that if the Linux community was less fractured there would be a lot more linux users. Every time there is a spin-off distribution, the community as a whole becomes more fractured, and it rarely leads to real innovation. (there certainly are exceptions to this, but I believe it's true overall)

+1 Most of the time I say Ubuntu Linux or just Linux, but it depends who I'm talking to.

bluexrider
December 4th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Mostly, when people ask me what I think of Windows. I retort and ask WHAT IS WINDOWS?
And let them explain what they think its all about then its my turn. i tell them the original operating system "Linux" has been around longer than Bill Gates has been alive. Explain about the security and the other benefits of Linux like choices. Software options, etc.

I think people get tired of me....... Windows, WHATS THAT?

staf0048
December 4th, 2011, 05:05 AM
How do people using Ubuntu say which operating system they use? Do they say they use Linux? Ubuntu? Ubuntu Linux? Linux-based operating system? UNIX-like operating system? This is what pisses me off about Linux, it doesn't have an identity.

I just say Linux. I distro hop too much for anyone else to follow me, the only constant for me is the kernel, so there you go.

However, the term "Unix-like GNU/linux based Debian Stable OS w/ the Ubuntu patches and Gnome Desktop environment" has a certain ring to it. Especially good for those who have no clue what your talking about. :-)

jaimeaux
December 4th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I don't know if it "pisses me off," but I do find it frustrating, and suspect that if the Linux community was less fractured there would be a lot more linux users. Every time there is a spin-off distribution, the community as a whole becomes more fractured, and it rarely leads to real innovation. (there certainly are exceptions to this, but I believe it's true overall)

While I slightly agree with what you're saying here, I have to disagree, as the fact that we have distributions (and spin-offs) is what makes Linux so great! I mean, Some people like the simplicity and stability of Ubuntu, some people like the bleeding edge that is Fedora... and some people like to spend a week compiling their kernel, with gentoo.

It's all a matter of preference, and that we allow users to experience the freedom therein.

However, it does have a tendency to result in a lack of progress, although Ubuntu seems to have come rather far in making real innovation (i.e. Ubuntu One).

cariboo
December 4th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Mostly, when people ask me what I think of Windows. I retort and ask WHAT IS WINDOWS?
And let them explain what they think its all about then its my turn. i tell them the original operating system "Linux" has been around longer than Bill Gates has been alive. Explain about the security and the other benefits of Linux like choices. Software options, etc.

Bill Gates is only 20 years old? Linux 0.01 was released in September of 1991.

Bachstelze
December 4th, 2011, 06:34 AM
i tell them the original operating system "Linux" has been around longer than Bill Gates has been alive.

lol what?

Quadunit404
December 4th, 2011, 06:50 AM

So you're saying Bill Gates is only 20? He was born in 1955 dude. That was 56 years ago.

LowSky
December 4th, 2011, 08:25 AM
So you're saying Bill Gates is only 20? He was born in 1955 dude. That was 56 years ago.

Even Unix is younger than Bill Gates, lol.

keithpeter
December 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM

Most sensible approach I think. Here is a paragraph I wrote recently for a general readership...

The GNU/Linux operating system is packaged by various organisations who also provide systems for updating the operating system. Common 'distributions' of the GNU/Linux operating system include Fedora, Mint, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS and Arch Linux. Ubuntu is one of the most popular GNU/Linux distributions, and Canonical claim that it is in use by 20 million people.

fontis
December 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I say Unity.

:lolflag:

Nah but seriously, I just say Linux.

lswb
December 4th, 2011, 04:14 PM

Your heart is in the right place but your historical timeline is a little off. The linux kernel was first developed in 1991. Bill Gates was born in 1955. Unix, which inspired linux, was developed in 1969.

TheNosh
December 4th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Your heart is in the right place.

How so? He lies about not knowing what Windows is to make a point, and then doesn't bother to do any fact checking to argue in favour of his own choice of operating system.

haqking
December 4th, 2011, 06:26 PM

http://www.dealspwn.com/writer/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

bluexrider
December 4th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Your heart is in the right place but your historical timeline is a little off. The linux kernel was first developed in 1991. Bill Gates was born in 1955. Unix, which inspired linux, was developed in 1969.
young guns, fast and furious, shoot first as questions later. Ooohhh! Big heart, small brain...

bluexrider
December 4th, 2011, 06:28 PM
http://thxforthe.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/DoubleFacePalm2.jpg

funny!

trinux_bc
December 4th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Linux, for at least three reasons:

1. I have more than one computer and use more than one distro

2. If Ubuntu disappeared I'd still be a Linux user

3. I've experienced some small community distros where the users are so into their distro that they ignore the wider Linux world, I think that misses the point of Linux and open source.

trinux_bc

lswb
December 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM
How so? He lies about not knowing what Windows is to make a point, and then doesn't bother to do any fact checking to argue in favour of his own choice of operating system.
Oh, give him the benefit of the doubt, it's probably the only benefit he has. :)

CryptAck
December 4th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I usually just say Linux, unless I'm talking about a distro. I believe it is more correct to say "GNU/Linux" though.

When randomly asked about my systems, I usually attempt to provide the minimum amount of detail to stir curiosity. I've managed to recruit a lot of Linux users that way.

For example,

"Hey, that isn't Windows, what is that?"
"It's Ubuntu."

"What is Ubuntu?"
"A type of Linux."

"What is Linux?"
"An operating system that isn't Windows."

"Is it better?"
"I think so, you can always Google it if interested."

KiwiNZ
December 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM

Simple I tell them OSX, Windows or Linux depending on my task at hand.

If I am at my PC I will give them a brief overview if they are interested, if they are not interested I move onto a more interesting topic like the weather.

Copper Bezel
December 4th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I usually just say Linux, unless I'm talking about a distro. I believe it is more correct to say "GNU/Linux" though.
Yeah, I err on the side of correctness and say "Ubuntu" or "Ubuntu Linux," which I would then describe as "a desktop Linux" (because no one who's asking would know what "GNU" means in "GNU / Linux.") The one thing I try to never, ever do is say that my machine "runs Linux" or that the OS "is Linux" rather than "a Linux."

Linuxratty
December 5th, 2011, 12:30 AM
It's Ubuntu,a distribution of Linux.

collisionystm
December 5th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Linux is pretty much the 3rd cousin of unix.

Unix -> Microsoft Xenix -> Linux

jjex22
December 5th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I always say linux... there's only any point in starting at the distro level if people know what that is... if they do I find they either say "oh which distro?" or "what, like Ubuntu". Besides I'm far too much a distro junkie to get into which I'm using the most - I suppose if I know the peron I'm talking to is into the same kind of stuff I start a convo about Unix systems - there's 3 people I can think of at work; that's a good place to start with them - they won't get anal about unix based/unix derrived, but know from past experience I'm an OSX, GNU/Linux, BSD, Minix3 guy - I only have one PC with windows on it now days!

Exceptions

To my mum I'd say i'm running something like apple (she has one)

To my girlfriend I say Ubuntu (she's used my laptop so knows what it is)

Copper Bezel
December 5th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Linux is pretty much the 3rd cousin of unix.

Unix -> Microsoft Xenix -> Linux
No. Linux, the kernel, was written in emulation of Unix, with its bits compatible with Minix so that they could be swapped into a Minix system, with an eye to the GNU project, which ultimately provided all of the parts of the operating system that weren't the kernel. Xenix was a rebranded, customized Unix, one of many. I don't see how it's related.

It's fairly interesting stuff. You can lose some hours on Wikipedia to it.

孝贺墒
December 5th, 2011, 02:37 AM

yeah. Different answer to different guy.

weasel fierce
December 5th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I usually say Linux. If the person is familiar, they'll ask what distro, if they aren't familiar, it won't matter anyways.

BrokenKingpin
December 5th, 2011, 04:45 PM
The majority of my co-workers are Linux users (programmers), so we just say the distro we are using ("Debian", "Ubuntu", etc).

If I am talking to people who are less familiar with the Linux world I just say "Linux" to avoid confusion.

For people who are generally familiar with Linux, but do not use it I will say "Debian Linux", "Ubuntu Linux", etc.

ctrlmd
December 5th, 2011, 06:32 PM
i usually say its opensuse or fedora then its a linux os

polardude1983
December 5th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Usually I just say Linux when talking to the average person. If I got into what distros are and all that, it would probably just confuse them.

grahammechanical
December 6th, 2011, 03:30 PM
It is like those languages that create new words by adding lots of words together. GnulinuxGnomeUbuntu. If I have forgotten anyone whose hard work I am benefiting from, then I am sorry. Please forgive me.

Regards.

aeiah
December 6th, 2011, 04:49 PM
If I'm talking to a normal non-techy person ill say linux. If I'm talking to a linux person I'll lie and say debian.

johnnybgoode83
December 6th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Like most, if I am talking to a non techy person I say Linux but if I am talking to a fellow tech I say Ubuntu.

jaimeaux
December 6th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I usually just kind of mentally flip a coin. One or the other. I prefer linux, because I often have multiple distros.

lykwydchykyn
December 6th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I say Ubuntu. Or Kubuntu, which is nearer to what I use.

The term Linux is vague. Ten years ago if you said you were using Linux it was understood that you had a Linux kernel, GNU, X11, and either GNOME, KDE, or some other X11 WM/DE. You know: the usual stack you find in Ubuntu, Suse, Fedora, Debian, etc.

Now Linux is behind Android, WebOS, Meego, embedded systems, etc. And some distros (like Debian) are branching into other kernels like Hurd and BSD.

Personally, I think we need a better name to refer to this stack of software, one that doesn't directly reference any one component of it. Until then, I try to call things what they are, unless it just becomes ridiculously pedantic to do so.

Shibblet
December 7th, 2011, 03:50 AM
It's the simplicity of the statement. I think most people say "Linux" instead of "Ubuntu" because it's a general statement.

If someone says "Hey, can you hand me a 'Kleenex' ?" It's a general statement meant to encompass whatever type of 'facial tissue' you happen to have at the time. And it's an accepted use of the brand name, even if you clearly have a box of 'Puffs.'

Band-Aid, Xerox, Popsicle, White-Out, Scotch Tape, Styrofoam, Post-It Notes, Thermos, Saran Wrap, Legos, Chap Stick, Q-Tips, Pop-Tarts, and now Linux.