PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Avant Window Navigator

scweston
December 3rd, 2011, 05:24 PM
Hi all,

I'm using Ubuntu with the Gnome 3 shell (I'm not using unity)

I've installed AWN and all seems to work well except for the fact I can't drag and drop launchers from the gnome shell on to the AWN dock. I know it's possible for me to add them manually, but this will take ages for me to find the correct command and icons.

Is there a way to easily add launchers to awn similar to the drag and drop method of gnome 2.

All help is appreciated.

Stephen

IWantFroyo
December 3rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Open the preferences, go to the Taskbar tab (I think that's what it is) and drag and drop into that section.

This is assuming you were trying to drag and drop directly onto the dock.

cbowman57
December 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
If memory serves me, if you installed the dock applet all you have to do is launch an app and it show up in the dock. Then I think it's was r-click to pin it to AWN.

Pretty sure it was something like that. Trust but verify. :)

IWantFroyo
December 3rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
If memory serves me, if you installed the dock applet all you have to do is launch an app and it show up in the dock. Then I think it's was r-click to pin it to AWN.

Pretty sure it was something like that. Trust but verify. :)

I remember this in docky, but I think AWN can do it too. +1

cbowman57
December 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM
I remember this in docky, but I think AWN can do it too. +1

Yeah, I used AWN for quite awhile but it's been quite a while. My memory isn't what it used to be but I think we're in the ballpark. I alway liked the talika applet too.

IWantFroyo
December 3rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Last time I used AWN was when 10.10 was the most recent Ubuntu. After that I started using Cairo-dock in Debian.

Now I'm in Openbox with no docks or panels at all. Works surprisingly well.

Also, if you type the command right, it will give you the correct icon. 2 birds with 1 stone, although I hope it doesn't come down to manual stuff.

scweston
December 3rd, 2011, 05:46 PM
Ahh, thanks!

Yes, launching the application from gnome shell made it appear in AWN and right clicking enabled me to pin it to the dock.

Thanks for this. I knew it would be something simple, but it takes my brain a while to figure such things without help..

Stephen