PDA

View Full Version : My morning...

CryptAck
December 3rd, 2011, 04:46 PM
So there I was, enjoying my time reading Ubuntuforums, surfing the internet, listening to music, and eating popcorn when suddenly thirst came over me. I reached to grab the soda can no more than two feet adjacent from me when I inadvertently knocked over the popcorn bowl...

Hot, oily, buttery popcorn flew all over my desk, the floor, and even into the hallway. My two dogs sparked into action like two hungry wolves darting for prey; crushing the popped kernels into smaller and smaller pieces as they attempted to identify this tasty treat I so frequently consume.

Now, thirty minutes after cleaning, here I sit pondering how to relieve my hunger when I have no more popcorn.

I can only hope the rest of the day goes this smooth. :)

IWantFroyo
December 3rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
I woke up, went to the bathroom, and back to sleep. Then I woke up again, but I was too tired to actually get up and do something useful, so I just sat up, grabbed by tablet, and lay down again. I've been on the Ubuntu Forums ever since then. :P

cgroza
December 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
One little wrong movement costs you 30 minutes of cleaning.
I've had worse :popcorn:.

IWantFroyo
December 3rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
One little wrong movement costs you 30 minutes of cleaning.
I've had worse :popcorn:.
Probably the worst I had was when I sat up one morning, hitting my head on the shelf above me, where I had a cup of tea that fell right on my face.

At least it woke me up.

CryptAck
December 3rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
It wasn't so much the cleaning that was annoying, it's this present hungry. I'm way too lazy to actually get dressed and head to the store or local McD's in the cold.

IWantFroyo
December 3rd, 2011, 05:00 PM
During times like these, I just open the pantry and look for any chocolate I might've missed.

Or you could make more popcorn.

All of this talk about food is making me hungry.

CryptAck
December 3rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
Burger King was my answer.

Unfortunately, it required getting ready.

I did need to drop money off at the bank anyways, so it was sort of like killing two birds with one stone.

odiseo77
December 3rd, 2011, 06:24 PM
Could have been worse... fortunately you didn't drop the soda on your laptop/computer/whatever you're using to post this :)

Thewhistlingwind
December 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Was it microwaved popcorn?

If so, I don't envy you.

(Anyone who's had a bowl of not-cooked-in-a-microwave-bag popcorn knows what I'm talking about.)

CryptAck
December 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
Could have been worse... fortunately you didn't drop the soda on your laptop/computer/whatever you're using to post this :)

Yes, yes; true, true!!! :)

I ruined my last, thankfully cheap, keyboard because I have an obsession for orange juice.

Truth be told, I have an absurd addiction to most fruit juices, but can no longer handle others like apple, but I digress.

Was it microwaved popcorn?

If so, I don't envy you.

(Anyone who's had a bowl of not-cooked-in-a-microwave-bag popcorn knows what I'm talking about.)

No no, most definitely not microwaved. Although I do lower my standards from time to time. I usually use an air popper, as although the popcorn is dry, it's better for me (or so they say).

The gallon of heated butter and oil that I, uhhh...accidently, split over it probably wasn't so great for me.

I'm sure my girlfriend would be pleased to hear that I did not eat all of it. Thinking about it though, she'll probably be immediately displeased with my double whooper from BK that I ate in despair.

IWantFroyo
December 4th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Yes, yes; true, true!!! :)

I ruined my last, thankfully cheap, keyboard because I have an obsession for orange juice.

Truth be told, I have an absurd addiction to most fruit juices, but can no longer handle others like apple, but I digress.

No no, most definitely not microwaved. Although I do lower my standards from time to time. I usually use an air popper, as although the popcorn is dry, it's better for me (or so they say).

The gallon of heated butter and oil that I, uhhh...accidently, split over it probably wasn't so great for me.

I'm sure my girlfriend would be pleased to hear that I did not eat all of it. Thinking about it though, she'll probably be immediately displeased with my double whooper from BK that I ate in despair.

Practically all I drink is fruit juice. I'm mainly drinking OJ now, although I used to drink grape juice before that, and cranapple before that.

Sadly, most of the popcorn I eat is microwaved, but I've been thinking of getting a corn popper. Any suggestions?

marypi
December 4th, 2011, 12:11 AM
i woke up, had something to eat then visited a friend.

since then I'm in love with linux especially ubuntu :)

i'm dedicated to install on my pc this week. i need to get a new hd first

lisati
December 4th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Woke up, checked my email, did some work on my wiki. Then spent an hour or two with my attention divided between the wiki, noticing that someone was trying to a brute force attempt to access my email server (now why didn't I make a note of the proper fail2ban settings before reinstalling my server? d'oh!), talking with Mrs Lisati, and watching some TV shows we recorded overnight. As you can imagine, none of the tasks received the attention they deserved. (That fail2ban setting was quickly fixed. Those darned regexes! Double D'oh!)

mamamia88
December 4th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Damn you gonna go make some popcorn now

Basher101
December 4th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I don't care about my mornings because they are always the same...i wake up.

MG&TL
December 4th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I've only had popcorn once...:shock:

:popcorn:

Little movement, big mess...I think my worst was knocking acid onto my chemistry coursework.

My morning consisted of trying to find out why a feature I'd put in a project on launchpad wasn't showing in the update this morning. Definitely a "D'oh" moment when I find out why.

Must be weird knowing someone wants your email that badly, Lisati. :(

CryptAck
December 4th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Sadly, most of the popcorn I eat is microwaved, but I've been thinking of getting a corn popper. Any suggestions?

What kind are you looking for, hot air or standard (oil)? Also, what price range?

You can find a nice hot air for ~$30. The standard cost a bit more, but the quality (in taste, not health) is far superior.

mips
December 4th, 2011, 09:34 AM

What's wrong with a normal pot on the stove? Makes perfect popcorn.

lisati
December 4th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Must be weird knowing someone wants your email that badly, Lisati. :(
This is probably one for the YKYAGW thread, but it's possibly a spammer (or one of their script kiddies) more interested in breaking in with a view to sending out spam and having me take the blame.

IWantFroyo
December 4th, 2011, 07:40 PM
What kind are you looking for, hot air or standard (oil)? Also, what price range?

You can find a nice hot air for ~$30. The standard cost a bit more, but the quality (in taste, not health) is far superior.

Hopefully a oil one. I don't really want to end up spending more than $50 US, $60 if it's a really good model.

Also, mips brings up a point. Maybe a stupid question, but does using oil in a pot compare to a dedicated popper?

*^kyfds(
December 4th, 2011, 08:11 PM
i'm not sure how i could have had a worse morning than this:

i woke up one morning to my cat meowing outside my door (this was at 6am, that time when it's so early that you're still tired, yet you cannot go back to sleep).

as i stepped out of my bedroom door, i stepped on a (half dissected) mouse my cat had bought in.

delicious.

not only did i have to clean up my foot in a shower,
but i had to pick the mouse off of the floor,
and had to clear up the blood stains off the carpet.

lovely.

odiseo77
December 7th, 2011, 04:17 AM

i woke up one morning to my cat meowing outside my door (this was at 6am, that time when it's so early that you're still tired, yet you cannot go back to sleep).

as i stepped out of my bedroom door, i stepped on a (half dissected) mouse my cat had bought in.

delicious.

lovely.

Maybe that's the idea your cat has of serving you the breakfast in the bed :D

BBQdave
December 7th, 2011, 04:34 AM

delicious.

lovely.

Yeah... My kitty decided it would be a good idea to leave a couple of fur balls on my computer desk. Lucky (or strategically) she left them on the table top and not on any computer equipment :P

And I'm not sure what the prejudice is toward microwave popcorn :confused: Nuked Corn is Great :D

Docaltmed
December 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Woke up, went to work, discovered that my office building had been burgled, $400 worth stolen. Could have been more, I guess.

F.G.
December 7th, 2011, 03:39 PM
i really hate theives, and finding out that someone's stolen something from me. Docaltmet, i do feel for you.

I woke up to arguments with builders and the dog barking, current i'm sick as a dog so i answered a couple of emails and went back to sleep.

oh yes, in my humble opinion the problem with stove-top popcorn is how much skill it takes to avoid burning the bottom of the pan and getting burnt popcorn, OR coming out with half cooked kernels, which haven't fully popped. Either way you come out with something that you still try to eat, even though you know it hasn't reached it's full potential. once you've picked out the few good bits it just gets worse and worse. Then comes the self-loathing, when your still sitting there, still eating the half-burnt, half-popped bits of corn because somehow you think that there are still some good bits in there.

I guess if you watch it carefully while it's cooking it can come out ok. I know air poppers are the best, but what's wrong with the microwave stuff anyway?

forrestcupp
December 7th, 2011, 04:06 PM
So there I was, enjoying my time reading Ubuntuforums, surfing the internet, listening to music, and eating popcorn when suddenly thirst came over me. I reached to grab the soda can no more than two feet adjacent from me when I inadvertently knocked over the popcorn bowl...

Hot, oily, buttery popcorn flew all over my desk, the floor, and even into the hallway. My two dogs sparked into action like two hungry wolves darting for prey; crushing the popped kernels into smaller and smaller pieces as they attempted to identify this tasty treat I so frequently consume.

Now, thirty minutes after cleaning, here I sit pondering how to relieve my hunger when I have no more popcorn.

I can only hope the rest of the day goes this smooth. :)

Here is the "Behind the Scenes" story:

When I ate popcorn and it was passing through my digestive system, the partially popped kernels were scraping through my colon, barely missing the diverticula pockets that I didn't even know were there. When I reached for my soda, I was completely ignorant to the fact that the very next handful of popcorn contained a kernel that was ruptured in a way that would cause it to get deeply lodged in one of the pockets in my colon.

I knocked the popcorn over in my lap, dumped hot butter all over myself and got attacked by dogs. As I contemplated my bad morning, I had no idea that these actions actually saved me from having a severe case of diverticulitis, followed by multiple surgeries that render me helpless for five months of my life.

The glass is half full. :)

CryptAck
December 10th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Here is the "Behind the Scenes" story:

When I ate popcorn and it was passing through my digestive system, the partially popped kernels were scraping through my colon, barely missing the diverticula pockets that I didn't even know were there. When I reached for my soda, I was completely ignorant to the fact that the very next handful of popcorn contained a kernel that was ruptured in a way that would cause it to get deeply lodged in one of the pockets in my colon.

I knocked the popcorn over in my lap, dumped hot butter all over myself and got attacked by dogs. As I contemplated my bad morning, I had no idea that these actions actually saved me from having a severe case of diverticulitis, followed by multiple surgeries that render me helpless for five months of my life.

The glass is half full. :)

Good point! I should probably be happy I didn't have to suffer from that! My father was diagnosed a few years ago with diverticulitis, although it wasn't this extreme. He can no longer consume seeds or other small foods that may get caught.

koleoptero
December 10th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Probably the worst I had was when I sat up one morning, hitting my head on the shelf above me, where I had a cup of tea that fell right on my face.

At least it woke me up.

If that had happened to me I'd have probably torn the shelf off and thrown that and the cup off the balcony.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
December 11th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Stayed up til 1:00AM installing an over the range microwave. Naturally, I couldn't go to to bed without vegging out first, so I stayed up til 3:30AM playing Modern Warfare 2.

Baby starts crying at 10:00AM. Get up. Tired. 7 Hours of fiddling with the baby/falling asleep. 4:30AM 44oz Dr. Pepper. Much better. Now jamming to Christmas toons on Pandora and preparing to see a play with the wife later.

CryptAck
December 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Stayed up til 1:00AM installing an over the range microwave. Naturally, I couldn't go to to bed without vegging out first, so I stayed up til 3:30AM playing Modern Warfare 2.

Baby starts crying at 10:00AM. Get up. Tired. 7 Hours of fiddling with the baby/falling asleep. 4:30AM 44oz Dr. Pepper. Much better. Now jamming to Christmas toons on Pandora and preparing to see a play with the wife later.

First, your username rocks! Very creative. :)

Ouch, that really stinks! I'm lucky in that I do not have children...yet. Two dogs, two rats, and a fish are more than enough for me.