PDA

View Full Version : Fan cleaning

Zirts
December 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Does anyone have info on how to clean the fans of a Acer Aspire 5552G laptop?

This laptop has gotten really slow lately and it seems to be over-heating problems due to a lot of dust in the fans.

Have been searching youtube for helpful videos about the certain model but I can't seem to find any videos on how to open it up.
Plus when I tried to open it my self, it didn't open at one place, felt like I would break it if I had teared it a bit more so yeah...

Any help would be really appreciated!

Basher101
December 3rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
you have two options:

1. if you are not scared of unscrewing the case, open it up and blow high-pressurized air into all the ventilation holes. Just be carefull not to break anything while opening the case...

or

2. if you are too scared to fiddle around with it, give it to your local "tech guy" and pay some for him to do it.

regards

Zirts
December 3rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Yeah well the problem is that I don't have the money atm to go to some tech guy.

And the first option you gave, well I tried it allready, I got it all open to some point, but near the CD-Rom the main case didn't open anymore.

Basher101
December 3rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Yeah well the problem is that I don't have the money atm to go to some tech guy.

And the first option you gave, well I tried it allready, I got it all open to some point, but near the CD-Rom the main case didn't open anymore.

You can buy a can with high-pressurized CO2 (carbon dioxide). Just blow with it at all your open ventilation holes OR go to someone that has a compressor that produces high pressure air.

regards

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
December 3rd, 2011, 03:20 PM
be careful with a air compressor you don't want to blast pressurized water particles at the thing

Basher101
December 3rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
be careful with a air compressor you don't want to blast pressurized water particles at the thing

just check with your hand if there is any water coming out just to make sure..

and a question at the side: did it always run slow or did it start running slow after an update/upgrade?

blueshead
December 3rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Don't! Use an air compressor. I'm a carpenter and they pick up a very large amount of water.!

We have to blow the water out of the tank at the end of each day.

Also because of the water there are very tiny flecks of rust..

Even a compressor with a water filter on it will still have very moist air..

tartalo
December 3rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
This is a 5562, but they are probably similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdw-pkS88k

oldos2er
December 3rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Not an Ubuntu support question; moved to Community Cafe.

Plumtreed
December 3rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Just a note of caution, I have a Acer Aspire 5315 which overheated using Ubuntu 11.04 and would get to the point of shutting down!

It was a fault with the OS not the fan and no amount of blowing and cleaning would make a difference. Not saying that it is the same with your unit but it may be worth considering:confused:

I have up'd to 11.10 and I have installed Jupiter which contributes to heat control and improved battery life. I no longer have the problem.

Google 'webupd8 Jupiter' for advice on how to install Jupiter and follow their instructions to get it to work in Ubuntu. Fuduntu OS has it included and you might want to consider trying Fuduntu to avoid expensive repair work:P

Basher101
December 3rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
as far as i know, some of the newer kernels cause overheating so roll back to something stable until it gets fixed...

mamamia88
December 3rd, 2011, 09:28 PM
I use one of these http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322944095&sr=8-1

Basher101
December 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
I use one of these http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322944095&sr=8-1

i think the OP said that he is short on money..

mamamia88
December 3rd, 2011, 09:47 PM
i think the OP said that he is short on money..

fair enough. i bought that because canned air kind of sucks and it risks getting that liquid in your electronics. I believe the cheapest i've ever seen a can around here is around $5 so i figured that this would pay for itself in the long run. this thing is super powerful.

Basher101
December 3rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
fair enough. i bought that because canned air kind of sucks and it risks getting that liquid in your electronics. I believe the cheapest i've ever seen a can around here is around $5 so i figured that this would pay for itself in the long run. this thing is super powerful.

yeah i can imagine it being cheaper in long term, but still for one use it may be overpriced for the OP as it is now.

bodhi.zazen
December 3rd, 2011, 10:24 PM
1. unplug the machine.

2. Use a vacuum cleaner, with an appropriate extension, either from the outside, or if you wish open the case and use it on the inside as well.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 3rd, 2011, 10:36 PM
Just a few minutes ago I cleaned a laptop fan on an old computer that is used in a dusty environment. The laptop needs to have the fan cleaned about once ever 2 to 4 weeks. I have been cleaning it with a can of compressed duster/air for about 4 years with no problems. As long as I keep the can upright it doesn't spray any moisture that the computer isn't designed to operate with. I have found that tilting the can by 30 to 45 degrees will cause it to spray something that looks like water; however, I don't think it is water as it evaporates very quickly. I have used this compressed air, or whatever it is, to troubleshoot overheating components on circuits. It doesn't seem that the liquid is conductive.

marypi
December 4th, 2011, 12:08 AM
high pressured air through the ventilation holes should do the trick. I'm been doing the same thing for the gpu fan in my desktop and for my laptop.

LowSky
December 4th, 2011, 03:52 AM
All laptops are made to be opened up. I don't know anything about the model questioned here, but removal of the disk drive should be possible for all I know if could be the thing hindering removal of the back plate.

Canned air is best for this application. Make sure the thing is off and battery removed and never spray downward as it can release the propellant and it will frost. A household vacuum may seem like a great idea just keep a watch for those tiny screws. You wont see them again. Not sure how true this is but I was told vacuums can increase static electricity in the surrounding area. If the gunk wont budge use a soft toothbrush or trimmer brush.

cariboo
December 4th, 2011, 04:31 AM
All laptops are made to be opened up. I don't know anything about the model questioned here, but removal of the disk drive should be possible for all I know if could be the thing hindering removal of the back plate.

Canned air is best for this application. Make sure the thing is off and battery removed and never spray downward as it can release the propellant and it will frost. A household vacuum may seem like a great idea just keep a watch for those tiny screws. You wont see them again. Not sure how true this is but I was told vacuums can increase static electricity in the surrounding area. If the gunk wont budge use a soft toothbrush or trimmer brush.

I have seen static sparks from a vacuum cleaner, make sure the tip is grounded before trying it.

I'd suggest either going to the laptop manufacturers web site and getting the service manual for it, it's usually free, or search for one of the many guides that show you how to take it apart, don't restrict yourself to video guides.

mips
December 4th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Does anyone have info on how to clean the fans of a Acer Aspire 5552G laptop?

Any help would be really appreciated!

The very first hit on a google search would have given you the pdf service manual from Acer! http://www.google.co.za/search?gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&client=ubuntu&channel=cs&ie=UTF-8&q=Acer+Aspire+5552G#pq=acer+aspire+5552g&hl=en&cp=32&gs_id=1o&xhr=t&q=Acer+Aspire+5552G+service+manual&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&client=ubuntu&hs=9GT&channel=cs&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=Acer+Aspire+5552G+service+manual&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=b02cfaeeee47d3f2&biw=943&bih=925

Follow the disassembly instruction, use a small 20-25mm paintbrush to brush out any dust from the fan & the rest of the insides and then blow out with some air.

oldos2er
December 4th, 2011, 06:33 PM
1. unplug the machine.

2. Use a vacuum cleaner, with an appropriate extension, either from the outside, or if you wish open the case and use it on the inside as well.

And make sure you're grounded when doing this. Vacuums can create a lot of static electricity.

Edit: Sorry Cariboo, didn't see you made the same point before I posted.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 4th, 2011, 07:51 PM
The OP probably doesn't have one of these either...

My daughter was replacing a graphics card in one of my desktop computers and wanted to clean the dust out if it. She took it outside and from a few feet away blew out the dust using a leaf blower.

I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure 240 mph / 386 km/h wind can cause static electricity.

:lolflag:

tartalo
December 5th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Not an Ubuntu support question; moved to Community Cafe.

What's the "Hardware & Laptops" forum for?

oldos2er
December 5th, 2011, 03:21 AM
tartalo, "Hardware & Laptops
Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install."

mips
December 5th, 2011, 06:34 AM
The OP probably doesn't have one of these either...

My daughter was replacing a graphics card in one of my desktop computers and wanted to clean the dust out if it. She took it outside and from a few feet away blew out the dust using a leaf blower.

I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure 240 mph / 386 km/h wind can cause static electricity.

:lolflag:

Static is not a problem where I live due to year round humidity, I would be more concerned about damaging the fans in the computer.

Zirts
September 12th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Okay it's a reall late reply but basicly the chinese guys who had put together that Acer, had put like 3cm of thermal paste on CPU and GPU, so I took it off and put a lil bit less there and also had better access to my fan like that - that Acer literally required me to takek every removable piece there was, apart, EVERY PIECE.

Almoust broke my wifi card ... :D

But yeah.. the fan of that laptop gets really dusty very fast and it's a pain to get good access to it, taking it apart is a real challange if you do it for the first time. I suggest noone to buy a laptop like that!

Edit: also if someone is trying to open it up for the first time, PM me! That laptop is just the biggest hassle to open up..

HermanAB
September 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM
In my experience, the fan is always on the bottom of a laptop clamshell, requiring one to disassemble the whole darn thing to get to it, starting from the keyboard and laboriously working all the way down through the gizards.

My solution is to use a Dremel and cut out a big square around the general position of the fan on the bottom shell, clean the fan, and then super glue the square back. The risk of breaking something during disassembly is MUCH reduced and it shaves a couple hours off the repair time.

Statia
September 13th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Don't! Use an air compressor. I'm a carpenter and they pick up a very large amount of water.!

Go to a dive shop. Air used in scuba cylinders has to be very dry.

(On my first open water dive, I got so thirsty from the dry air, I absent-mindedly drank from the lake I was diving in, while being 6 meters under water)

Jakin
September 13th, 2012, 12:18 PM
(not that i recommend) I dangerously use a shopvac; using something like a bread wrapper to partially stick into the vent and hold the fan still, then suck the dust out, as well as using a can of dust buster.. The area is all enclosed in aluminum (and dismantling the laptop is not gonna help so much), nothing should be sucked up, like jumpers or components... (of course i do all this with the battery removed.

Paulgirardin
September 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM

Use a spray painters compressor.Painting requires absolutely dry air