PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu install not working...

dalawh
December 3rd, 2011, 06:35 AM
I downloaded ubuntu and used the universal usb installer to install it into a usb, I rebooted my computer, but not install was happening. I restarted holding F12 down and it just made a loud beeping sound. Any ideas how I can install ubuntu onto my usb and run it from there?

oldtimer7777
December 3rd, 2011, 07:20 AM
I downloaded ubuntu and used the universal usb installer to install it into a usb, I rebooted my computer, but not install was happening. I restarted holding F12 down and it just made a loud beeping sound. Any ideas how I can install ubuntu onto my usb and run it from there?

Here is a good walk-through to installing 11.10:

https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-11-10-aka-oneiric-ocelot/

Perhaps your computer doesn't allow you to boot from a USB, so you may want to create a dvd-r instead.

Make sure to completely read and understand the guide first, before attempting to install.

dalawh
December 3rd, 2011, 07:28 AM
Here is a good walk-through to installing 11.10:

https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-11-10-aka-oneiric-ocelot/

Perhaps your computer doesn't allow you to boot from a USB, so you may want to create a dvd-r instead.

Make sure to completely read and understand the guide first, before attempting to install.

I want to install ubuntu onto my flash drive, not my computer.

oldtimer7777
December 3rd, 2011, 08:12 AM
I want to install ubuntu onto my flash drive, not my computer.

You can try Ubuntu from a live stick USB .. and boot from that..

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

If you install Ubuntu to your hard drive, you can create a live stick of Ubuntu with Persistence (Startup Disc Creator Application in Ubuntu - Set to Persistence) that will allow you to make changes and use it like you would if it was installed from your hard drive. That is as good as it gets for now.

dalawh
December 3rd, 2011, 08:28 AM
You can try Ubuntu from a live stick USB .. and boot from that..

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

If you install Ubuntu to your hard drive, you can create a live stick of Ubuntu with Persistence (Startup Disc Creator Application in Ubuntu - Set to Persistence) that will allow you to make changes and use it like you would if it was installed from your hard drive. That is as good as it gets for now.

How do I do it using the way that the ubuntu site instructs me to? I went to the link you provided and dled the middle one. I use the program to put ubuntu into my flash drive, but it just won't boot up. Any ideas why? Is there anyway to make my computer boot from usb?

darkod
December 3rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
First of all, if you restarted your PC literary holding the F12 down like you said in your first post, that would make the BIOS think your keyboard is faulty. Hence the loud beep. You can't hold any key pressed down while booting.

If it ¡s F12 you need for your boot menu (different manufacturers might have different options) as soon the screen start showing the boot process start pressing and letting go of F12 in short intervals. That should show the boot menu.

Another thing to consider: if you want to install ONTO the usb stick, one stick is not enough. You need one with the installation which you already prepared with universal usb installer, and then you need a second one, or ext usb HDD, as destination to install onto. You don't expect to install on the media you are booting from? That's impossible.

What you could do with one usb stick is use the Try Ubuntu option (not Install) and run it in live mode from the stick to see how you like it. This was already mentioned by another poster here.

dalawh
December 3rd, 2011, 06:01 PM
First of all, if you restarted your PC literary holding the F12 down like you said in your first post, that would make the BIOS think your keyboard is faulty. Hence the loud beep. You can't hold any key pressed down while booting.

If it ¡s F12 you need for your boot menu (different manufacturers might have different options) as soon the screen start showing the boot process start pressing and letting go of F12 in short intervals. That should show the boot menu.

Another thing to consider: if you want to install ONTO the usb stick, one stick is not enough. You need one with the installation which you already prepared with universal usb installer, and then you need a second one, or ext usb HDD, as destination to install onto. You don't expect to install on the media you are booting from? That's impossible.

What you could do with one usb stick is use the Try Ubuntu option (not Install) and run it in live mode from the stick to see how you like it. This was already mentioned by another poster here.

I will try out these options and get back to you on my results.