PDA

View Full Version : I have this friend that thinks Ubuntu/Linux is for poor people.

Mars11
December 3rd, 2011, 05:21 AM
Could you guys help me prove it to him that he's wrong.

staf0048
December 3rd, 2011, 05:30 AM
How exactly would you like us to "prove" that?

How about this, Business Loan Underwriter, MBA, $80m/yr, love linux, not because it's free, but because it gives me freedom. Freedom to do what I want with my computer, I'm in control of my data, not some company. I also have a lot more choices in Linux than just Windows or Apple. Gnome, KDE, enlightenment, open office, libre office, etc. Also, I had to BUY my computer, which came with the "other" OS, I CHOSE to put linux on it and delete windows. I could have stuck with Windows, and it would have cost me just the same. The "poor" argument does not work.

But, be that as it may, does that mean "poor" people should not have access to the programs you and I RELY upon to better their lot in life? Like it or not, there is a technology gap and shutting the "poor" out gives little consolation to you, me, or them. So Linux, fills many gaps. And heaven forfend if your friend ever becomes poor. Grow up!

How's that?

jaimeaux
December 3rd, 2011, 05:36 AM
Mars11,

First of all, +1 on what Staf0048 just said. Amazing, couldn't sum it up much better than that.

Ubuntu for poor people? Maybe that's ONE reason.

Ubuntu is not simply for poor people. Ubuntu is for many, MANY people.

Ubuntu is for those who believe software and information should be open-source, and useable by all.

Ubuntu is for those who believe in an operating system that WORKS.

Ubuntu is for the people out there who are sooo friggin' sick of Windows, and likewise can't justify buying a Mac.

and, Ubuntu is for people who know how to use a computer, (i.e. Sysadmins, programmers, and geeks alike.)

Hopefully this clears things up. WINDOWS is for people who can't think for themselves, and need to pay large amounts of cash to feel good about their ability to use a computer.

What he's saying is the equivalent of "Motorcycles are for people who can't afford a car."

Your friend,

Jaimeaux"

Mars11
December 3rd, 2011, 05:36 AM
Well, this is his reply. "I'm so rich, it makes him looks poor, because I have Windows." I don't think he's going to change his mind until he "grows up".

deonis
December 3rd, 2011, 05:41 AM
Why? I have a bunch of Windoz-people who've never used Linux in their life and say that Linux is "whatever your worst swearing word ". I usually think about this with an open mind (GNU-way :) ). Do not need to prove anything to anyone it is most of the time pointless with stubborn people. Enjoy it for yourself !!!

Linux lover from 1998

denis

Thewhistlingwind
December 3rd, 2011, 05:42 AM
Problem with that logic.

A computer with Linux preinstalled costs more than it's Linux counterpart.

A computer that doesn't almost inevitably has windows (Or Mac OS X) on it.

Thus theres no reason why even a poor man should have to turn to Linux.

papibe
December 3rd, 2011, 05:44 AM
Some ideas:

The fastest and expensive computers in the world use Linux: Supercomputers (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/where-linux-crushes-windows-like-a-bug-supercomputers/9890).

Some countries stock exchanges are handled by Linux: London Stock Exchange moves to Linux (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/the-london-stock-exchange-moves-to-novell-linux/8285).

Kind Regards.

hansdown
December 3rd, 2011, 05:50 AM
Think of it this way,Mars11.

Does your friend do anything to help other people?

I'm sure you do.

I can afford to buy any system.

I "choose" to use ubuntu, because it frees me to use my system, without malware.

Does your friend sometimes get problems on his/her system?

hansdown
December 3rd, 2011, 05:53 AM
Some ideas:

The fastest and expensive computers in the world use Linux: Supercomputers (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/where-linux-crushes-windows-like-a-bug-supercomputers/9890).

Some countries stock exchanges are handled by Linux: London Stock Exchange moves to Linux (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/the-london-stock-exchange-moves-to-novell-linux/8285).

Kind Regards.

The london stock exchange crap out was interesting.

Mars11
December 3rd, 2011, 05:56 AM
Yes, and I fix them for him.

Gremlinzzz
December 3rd, 2011, 05:59 AM
All operating systems are for poor people:popcorn:

lykwydchykyn
December 3rd, 2011, 06:07 AM
Bah! As you can clearly see from any market-share analysis, we Linux users ARE the 1%!

:lolflag:

Dangertux
December 3rd, 2011, 06:10 AM
That's a childish mentality. My 14 year old cousin was teased at school once because his mother couldn't afford to buy him some insanely expensive clothing. I told him to tell the kids that he doesn't wear it because if he is going to be a walking advertisement for someone elses brand he should get paid for it.

Those same kids if they were into computers might have made a similar statement about Windows/Ubuntu. The funny thing is, I own several windows licenses, make more money by myself than the combined income of both adults in their household, and I still choose a free open source operating system because I prefer it. That being said, I'm an information security dork by profession and get paid way more than I should. My cousin's mother is a school teacher. In the grand scheme of society, the value of her job is probably more important than mine despite the fact I make nearly 3 times what she does. Why parents raise their children to believe that cost and value are the same thing is beyond me.

undecim
December 3rd, 2011, 06:13 AM
Google is poor?

Mars11
December 3rd, 2011, 06:15 AM
Google is poor?
Haha, he's given up. Though I don't think I can change his mind. :\ Thanks guys.

Primefalcon
December 3rd, 2011, 06:46 AM
LOL most of the servers/super computers/mainframes of the world use Linux.... at least both he New York as well as the London stock exchange run Linux.... the NSA runs Linux....

You telling me places like this and more are poor? lol

DangerOnTheRanger
December 3rd, 2011, 06:58 AM
20 Bitcoins says the anonymous guy in question owns an Android phone...

simpleblue
December 3rd, 2011, 07:21 AM
If he thinks Linux is for poor people and continues to debate about it then there is not much you can do to change his mind.

My advice is don't waste your time. Tell somebody else about Linux who has half a brain and is not yet brainwashed.

Thewhistlingwind
December 3rd, 2011, 07:43 AM
That's a childish mentality. My 14 year old cousin was teased at school once because his mother couldn't afford to buy him some insanely expensive clothing. I told him to tell the kids that he doesn't wear it because if he is going to be a walking advertisement for someone elses brand he should get paid for it.

I love it when people do stuff like that, it lets me know right away that I shouldn't associate with them.

drawkcab
December 3rd, 2011, 07:52 AM
The truly poor people are those whose minds are so narrow.

blueturtl
December 3rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm X Windows- and Y amount of Microsoft Office licenses wealthier than the person next to me. :)

Also, only Linux users can afford to throw away hundreds of dollars worth of software (that came with their computer) to run their favorite OS.

Also, Linux users donate more money to projects such as the Humble Bundle (in relation to their numbers) than do Windows and Mac users.

So, who are we calling poor again?

pbpersson
December 3rd, 2011, 08:50 AM
Many rich people got that way because they spend their money wisely. I have saved thousands of dollars that I would have spent on Microsoft licenses by instead using opensource software.

fdrake
December 3rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
let him be in his "poor" world... no need to waste time on ppl like that. Just my personal opinion.

hansdown
December 3rd, 2011, 08:55 AM
many rich people got that way because they spend their money wisely. I have saved thousands of dollars that i would have spent on microsoft licenses by instead using opensource software.

+1

wolfen69
December 3rd, 2011, 09:06 AM
What do you mean by poor? Money? Emotionally?

keithpeter
December 3rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Freedom to do what I want with my computer, I'm in control of my data, not some company.

I think this might be an important selling point in the future.

"My computer, my data, my choice"

jaimeaux
December 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
The truly poor people are those whose minds are so narrow.

That is amazingly deep, bro. +1

(Forgive my surfer-language, as well.)

szymon_g
December 3rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Ubuntu/Linux is for rich people (or for youngsters)
you know- less rich people don't have a time to waste it on configuration so they could use their computers- they have a job, family etc. If you are rich enough (or young- either way without the necessity to work) you can waste your time doing stuff that work out-of-the-box on other opperating systems.

Basher101
December 3rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
Ubuntu/Linux is for rich people (or for youngsters)
you know- less rich people don't have a time to waste it on configuration so they could use their computers- they have a job, family etc. If you are rich enough (or young- either way without the necessity to work) you can waste your time doing stuff that work out-of-the-box on other opperating systems.

Linux worked out-of-the-box for me. I just had to change the theme and wallpaper and that was it...

As for the poor,

being rich in possessions does not make you rich in wisdom.

szymon_g
December 3rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Linux worked out-of-the-box for me. I just had to change the theme and wallpaper and that was it...

i wish i'd be able to say the same- especially about laptops :/
although- i'm using linux for 10 years /with breaks/ and i definitely see improvements. but, from the other hand: other OS's are also improving.

As for the poor,
being rich in possessions does not make you rich in wisdom.

indeed.

Basher101
December 3rd, 2011, 02:14 PM
i AM running it on my laptop. And the even funnier thing is, my onboard graphics have such pathetic support for OpenGL i don't know why the desktop is still so very fluid...everything else just lags like hell (like minor games)