PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installer Error after Wubi install in windows

dmparksa
December 3rd, 2011, 02:29 AM
I've tried 9.04 in the past, but that turned out to be a disaster because of a huge bug in the update that I did. I had to reinstall everything and I didn't want to do it again. But I've been looking into Ubuntu 11.10 and it looked way better than 9.04 was. So, I gave wubi a try. I went through the ISO download, burned it to a dvd, put it back in to the computer, run wubi, and everything went flawlessly in windows. The problem occurs when I restart the computer. After the install, I restart the computer and everything goes well until the installer. It gives a warning that the installer could not run properly. I don't remember specifically what it said, but after doing it over five times, I still could not get it to work. I figured that someone might have ran into this problem and decided to post here.
Computer Specs: HP Pavilion a6242n
Windows Vista
AMD athlon 64 X2 4800+ (I think it's around 2.8 ghz)
3gig ram ddr2
320gb hard drive
Nvidio Geforce 6150SE

TL;DR: There is an installer error when I first run Ubuntu after wubi install.

Thanks!

oldtimer7777
December 3rd, 2011, 06:20 AM
I had this same problem, so I just installed it from a live bootable usb thumb drive/flash drive stick instead.

Here is a guide:

https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-11-10-aka-oneiric-ocelot/

I've tried 9.04 in the past, but that turned out to be a disaster because of a huge bug in the update that I did. I had to reinstall everything and I didn't want to do it again. But I've been looking into Ubuntu 11.10 and it looked way better than 9.04 was. So, I gave wubi a try. I went through the ISO download, burned it to a dvd, put it back in to the computer, run wubi, and everything went flawlessly in windows. The problem occurs when I restart the computer. After the install, I restart the computer and everything goes well until the installer. It gives a warning that the installer could not run properly. I don't remember specifically what it said, but after doing it over five times, I still could not get it to work. I figured that someone might have ran into this problem and decided to post here.
Windows Vista
3gig ram ddr2
320gb hard drive
Nvidio Geforce 6150SE

Thanks!

Sam_Scribbler
December 3rd, 2011, 06:33 AM
I had this same problem, so I just installed it from a live bootable usb thumb drive/flash drive stick instead.

Were you using Vista as well? When I tried Wubi in 10.04 last year, I had the exact same problem, too! Is this common? I sort of "fixed" the issue by erasing the disk and installing it from scratch. (Easy way out, I know, but it was a clean Vista boot anyway, so no real loss.)

I also had a similar issue in Mint where the installer would crash when installing from a CD-ROM, but would load perfectly from a USB flash drive. And the CD-ROM was pristine... not a scratch on it.

What causes that?

oldtimer7777
December 3rd, 2011, 07:23 AM
IO failure on the cd-rom/dvd-rom device. Age. Wear. Environment.

USB Flash Drives booted from the USB port are less likely to cause those kinds of read/write issues.

Were you using Vista as well? When I tried Wubi in 10.04 last year, I had the exact same problem, too! Is this common? I sort of "fixed" the issue by erasing the disk and installing it from scratch. (Easy way out, I know, but it was a clean Vista boot anyway, so no real loss.)

I also had a similar issue in Mint where the installer would crash when installing from a CD-ROM, but would load perfectly from a USB flash drive. And the CD-ROM was pristine... not a scratch on it.

What causes that?

bcbc
December 3rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Windows Vista
3gig ram ddr2
320gb hard drive
Nvidio Geforce 6150SE

Thanks!
Write down the error. It's likely important. Did it say "no root file system defined" or something like that?

I notice that you have an nvidia card - these usually require the 'nomodeset' boot option. See this thread for details: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132 (post #8 describes what's required for a wubi first boot)

dmparksa
December 3rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
I already deleted the Wubi from the disk. The only thing I can think of now is trying it on the internal hard drive. I've been trying to install it on an external hard drive. (It worked perfectly when I used 9.04) I'll also try the USB option. Just as well, I was running out of CD's and I didn't feel like buying some. The strange thing is, I even get the installer error when I just boot from live CD. I can try to boot the CD from a different computer and see if the CD is messed up.

bcbc
December 3rd, 2011, 06:33 PM
I already deleted the Wubi from the disk. The only thing I can think of now is trying it on the internal hard drive. I've been trying to install it on an external hard drive. (It worked perfectly when I used 9.04) I'll also try the USB option. Just as well, I was running out of CD's and I didn't feel like buying some. The strange thing is, I even get the installer error when I just boot from live CD. I can try to boot the CD from a different computer and see if the CD is messed up.
If you get a 'no root filesystem defined' error on a wubi install it's usually due to minor partition table corruption, or some other unsupported feature e.g. raid 0 or 1+0. In some cases a reused drive with leftover GPT data can cause it.

But if you get this on Wubi you will have the same problem on a normal install. To diagnose, boot the live USB, select "Try Ubuntu" and run the bootinfoscript (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/)

dmparksa
December 3rd, 2011, 11:38 PM
Alright, I didn't try to reinstall, but I did get it on a flash drive. Now I have a completely different problem. I have it on a 4gb flash drive and tried to run wubi from it. Gives the error; "Internal Error(name of the window): Failed to run Pylauncher" I already tried the Live USB option and it worked perfectly on it. What's the problem now?

bcbc
December 4th, 2011, 12:51 AM
You can't run wubi from a USB. It is possible but the partition has to be ~< 850MB.

The easiest way to install wubi if you have the ISO:
1. place the ISO and wubi.exe (from same release) in the same folder on your hard drive
2. remove the USB and any Ubuntu CD's from your computer
3. Run wubi.