PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Question about installing onto existing windows partition

amzie
December 3rd, 2011, 12:00 AM
The way that I read the installation guide for wubi, and the description, sounded like you could install it onto an existing partition without fear of overwriting your existing windows installation. I took my first trip into the world of linux yesterday, using Puppy Linux loaded onto a usb stick to try and fix a friends laptop, and I loved the interface and how well it ran on such terrible hardware. Now, I want to try more distro's of linux, and I was thinking Ubuntu would be a good start. However, I have no active CD-Rom/DVD drive, as mine died a few years ago, and Wubi sounds like a god-send at the moment. I was just wanting to make sure that using it to install Ubuntu would allow me to keep my existing windows installation, and then they would share a partition. Thanks,

~Amzie

P.S. Sorry if this is already a topic somewhere on the forum, I attempted a search but I don't have much time left before I have to leave school to head home and actually attempt the installation. If the thread exists, please just point me to a link and the mods can lock/delete this thread as needed. Apologizing in advance.

Rubi1200
December 4th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Yes, you can install Wubi/Ubuntu inside Windows without it affecting the Windows installation.

Read here for more:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

amzie
December 5th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks! I actually managed to get ahold of a laptop through a trade with a friend, and I installed Ubuntu on it instead. Thanks for the reply though!

Rubi1200
December 5th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Excellent! Glad you got what you wanted and can enjoy Ubuntu.

Please mark this Solved using the Thread Tools near the top of the page.