PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu and any other Linux

mal1958
December 2nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
A friend of mine has an old P3 system and 2 HDs. He is looking to set up Ubuntu and either Fedora and/or Mandriva. He wants to be able to game and has seen in the Wine forum that many games will operate in those OS. He doesn't want to deal with a Windoze dual boot since all he has is windoze XP and it is no longer supported. Will he be able to set a dual boot with Ubuntu and another Linux distro? He has no way to get online at this time, which is why I am asking.

He also likes the Gnome desktop and would like to know if he can go with either 11.04 or 11.10 and have the Gnome desktop (or Classic) as a Default. I would like to know that too. I think the Unity desktop is pretty, but with these older machines it is cludgy as all heck.:(

cotcot
December 2nd, 2011, 08:20 PM
Dual boot with another distro is no problem. I have 4 boots (XP, 10.04, Fedora and my default is 11.10).
Unity or gnome shell is to be avoided on the P3 although it does not depend on the P3 only. I suppose the grapgics card and the quantity of ram is also old, so not very suited for a 3D experience. Go for 'classic'.

snowpine
December 2nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
See here for Ubuntu hardware requirements:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Windows XP will be supported through April 2014:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/springboard/archive/2011/07/11/with-only-1000-days-left-of-extended-support-don-t-you-think-it-s-time-to-retire-windows-xp.aspx

MG&TL
December 2nd, 2011, 08:35 PM
Go for lubuntu-all the packages of ubuntu, light & fast interface.

lubuntu.net

wolfen69
December 2nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
On a computer that old, it will be very difficult to do any quality gaming, no matter what desktop environment you use. Chances are, only the simplest of games will work.

cortman
December 2nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
I had an old Dell laptop (1.6 Centrino, 1 gb ram, 20 GB HD) and Lubuntu ran rather slow and I had a maddening time with compositing and some graphics things. Which probably are more related to the computer than the OS.
But all that to say, I much preferred Xubuntu on it to Lubuntu. Ran much smoother, nicer desktop, IMHO, while being just as lightweight as Lubuntu.
But hey, use what works!

anewguy
December 2nd, 2011, 09:19 PM
On a computer that old, it will be very difficult to do any quality gaming, no matter what desktop environment you use. Chances are, only the simplest of games will work.

+1 - games will be difficult at best.

mal1958
December 2nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Want to say thanks for the info. My system is similar to my friends, but I got 512 meg of ram vs his 384 meg. Without a job a new box is out of the question, as is buying any new widoze os. Besides, I like Ubuntu. As it stands, I can play many of my favorite games through Linux on this old abacus with a graphic card. Specs not withstanding, I find the linux version of Neverwinter Night 1 to be a bit faster on the linux side then the windows version, though on both sides my transitioning time between maps is slow due to the fact that I have a P3 1 gig system.

Again, thanks. I just wished that I could set the Gnome interface as Default on the system.

snowpine
December 2nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
Again, thanks. I just wished that I could set the Gnome interface as Default on the system.

Sure you can--but it is probably not the best choice for your hardware specs.