PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.10 in HP DV6910us

helmarfernandes
December 2nd, 2011, 05:14 PM
Hello guys...
Forgive my terrible English... Iīm a brazilian user...

Well... before you ask me.. Iīve tried everything...
My laptop is an HP DV6910us and this damned machine has some kind of "microsoft curse" in its BIOS...
Iīm using ubuntu since 8.04 and all the times I have to upgrade I have the same problem....

The installation craches with a "Errno 5" when copying files.
But I know that my problem has nothing to do with this error...
I have tried all the things that I could find in this forum.
Burning the ISO image at the lower speed as possible.
Using the "NOAPCI" "NOACPI" options...
Using "ubiquityu no--migration-assistance" option...
Taking one memory stick off and trying with only 2GB of RAM...
Nothing works...
I know thereīs something to do with my bios that is locked to Windows Vista by HP.
I canīt change anything in my BIOS. I have to read "Vista OS" and thereīs nothing I can do...
And you can call me idiot: I donīt remember what I did to install Ubuntu 10.10.
The same problem has happened that time...

Can anyone please help me before I give up from ubuntu?

My specs are:
HP Pavilion DV6910us
320GB SATA 7200rpm (250GB SATA 5400rpm was the original)
4GB ram (3GB was the original)
AMD Turion x2 64 bit

Please Help me!!!!!

BC59
December 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
It was a similar thread some years ago:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=931556

helmarfernandes
December 5th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks BC59...

But all those problems seems to be related to graphics problems, that is not my problem.

I give up... it seems nobody can light my way this time...

BC59
December 5th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Look here if this could help you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

helmarfernandes
December 6th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks BC59.... Iīll try this one tonight and tomorrow I report the results...

helmarfernandes
December 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Hey BC59....
Didnīt work for me... any of the options...

And when you think that thinks canīt get worse... when I try to burn the image in a USB Stick it tells me that Checksum doesnīt match....
Iīve tried with the differente ISO files....
I give up

BC59
December 8th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I'm very sorry I didn't help, but the HP DV6910 is well known for it's problems.

helmarfernandes
December 8th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I donīt know what to do...
Iīm using Ubuntu since 9.04 version... I donīt want to use another distro and Windows is completely out of question....
Iīve tried 10.10 again, 10.04... nothing works...

COuld be a Flash Bios an option?
Flashing my bios would remove that "non-Vista" that I see at my system setup screen?

helmarfernandes
December 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Itīs amazing... with all this great people working around to make Ubuntu nobody can help me....
Itīs amazing that Iīm the only man in this world trying to use Ubuntu is this dammed machine?

ianmillington
December 12th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I don't have that machine so I can't specifically say what is happening, but this sounds to me like one of those cases where a distribution upgrade would work better than a fresh installation. Is your 11.04 installation intact?

When you do the installation, is it from a live CD? Have you tried using the "alternate" CD which uses a text-based installer instead?

Mark Phelps
December 13th, 2011, 02:10 PM
COuld be a Flash Bios an option?

NO .. flashing your BIOS, of a PC that had the BIOS written to specifically work with Windows, will NOT make your PC suddenly Linux-compatible.

There are LOTS of threads of problems with HP DV6xs and DV7xs -- and I've not seen solutions to them.

You have to face the fact that as PC manufacturers build more and more Windows-specific features into their PCs, those same PCs become less and less Linux-compatible.

helmarfernandes
December 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks Ian for your reply...

The bad new is "no"... My older installation has gone. My HD is completely clean. Why? Because I was using 10.10 and I didnīt do any upgrade since the first installation because in 8.04 and 9.04 all the times I have tried to do an automatic update my system has broke.
I also have tried the alternate CD with no success

helmarfernandes
December 13th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I agree with yoy Mark Phelps... my hope was that I had have the same problems with other Ubuntu versions... and even with a lot of researching, testing, headache, boring, testing again, etc...
at the end I was able to install 8.04, 9.04 and 10.10.

No so lucky this time

gordintoronto
December 13th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Help us to help you. You said, "The installation craches with a "Errno 5" when copying files."

Go back a step. You downloaded the Ubuntu Desktop 64-bit ISO, and used (what program) to burn it to a CD, and verified the burn? You set your BIOS to boot from the CD, and it booted fine? Can you run from the LiveCD? Is "Errno 5" Portuguese or English? What is the partitioning of your hard drive?

helmarfernandes
December 15th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Ok... answering your questions:
- I have tryied several CDs... have downloaded at least three ISO files from the Ubuntu website (didnīt find another source)
Have burned the ISO using the default Windows 7 burning tool
Have burned the ISO using NEro in Windows XP at the lowest speed (14x I think)...
All CDs were verified and cheksum is OK.
- My Bios is set to boot first from CD... the Live CD runs well although it takes too long to load.
- The "Errno 5" is in English.... usually just after you create the user account and start copying files. But the "Errno 5" is not the only error... with one CD burned at a lower speed the installation goes until the end of copying files and shows me another error...
- IF I try to execute ubiquity in live CD (even pressing the link at desktop or in terminal using --no-migration-assistant) it gives me the message "System program problem detected" and tells me to report the problem.
- If I try to create an USB stick using Startup Disk Creator is tells me that Cheksum doesnīt match (but if I test it itīs OK)
- My hard disk is clear... I have tried installing in default Ubuntu partitioning way and I have tried to create many partitions of different sizes, at the end of disc, at the beginning of disk, with 10GB, 100GB, all HD (320GB)... nothing works.

Well.. this is what my poor English can gives you of details.
What else would you like to know?

Thanks!

Help us to help you. You said, "The installation craches with a "Errno 5" when copying files."

Go back a step. You downloaded the Ubuntu Desktop 64-bit ISO, and used (what program) to burn it to a CD, and verified the burn? You set your BIOS to boot from the CD, and it booted fine? Can you run from the LiveCD? Is "Errno 5" Portuguese or English? What is the partitioning of your hard drive?

gordintoronto
December 16th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I'm sorry, I don't know how to help you. From trying to Google the problem, there were suggestions to try specifying a different keyboard or even a different language.

Startup Disk Creator has never made a working flash drive for me. Unetbootin is a more popular tool.

helmarfernandes
December 27th, 2011, 08:32 PM
SOLVED!

Ok guys... since nobody has helped me to solve my problem, Iīm proud to let you know that Iīm running Oneiric Ocelot in my Pavilion DV6910us laptop...

I really donīt know exactly what actions were effective in solving my problem, so Iīm going to describe everything I did so far to get my laptop working with 11.10;

- I know my problem was related to my BIOS because my laptop has a locked BIOS to accept only the original OS (Windows Vista 32 bit)
- I followed all the steps that said me disable ACPI, APIC options in boot advanced options.
- I followed all the steps the recommended to burn the ISO image at the lowest speed as possible, but I couldnīt find any program with a burning speed lower than 14x.
So I burned the image in a CD-RW DVD media at the speed of 1x.
- I inserted the DVD on my drive and started pressing F6 to access the boot options before starting the installation process.
- I only selected the "acpi=off" option not changing the other options
- Then I selected "Install Ubuntu" option... at the beginning of installation I have had the same "installation problem" and in returned me to the Live CD desktop session....
- So I tried again to execute the ubiquity from the desktop link and the process started running well but Iīve read in some topic right here in Ubuntu Forums of someone telling to make some changes to the partitioning default settings...
So I created a root partition with 80GB, a swap partition with 4GB and a logical partition with 236GB starting at the end of the disc.... and VOILĀ - everything has worked fine and the installation process has finished whitout an error...

So... I ask you... what action really worked for me?
The change in partitioning system? The ACPI=OFF setting? Both?

I donīt know... I know that Iīm very happy to have a clean installation of Oneiric Ocelot running in my laptop and at this moment Iīm copying my 80GB of data from my external backup...

Thanks for those who tried to help me... I hope this may be useful for someone one day

mörgæs
December 28th, 2011, 11:56 AM
To other people following:

This is a good example that old Buntu releases should not be used. Newest or second-newest release are the ones to try.