PDA

View Full Version : Open source cell phone OSes?

WinterMadness
December 2nd, 2011, 06:42 AM
(And I dont mean android)

Is there any chance something like this could happen? Such as a Ubuntu cell OS, or even a completely independent one?

Id really like to be able to take my current phone, and put any OS on it like I do my laptop....

The reason I raise this question is due to the fact that the current cell phone OSes (Android includes) violate your privacy pretty bad, and their market places are littered with programs that might as well be spyware.

aysiu
December 2nd, 2011, 08:28 AM
Android is open source. You can make your own custom rom without the Android Market.

See xda-developers.com for more details.

Personally, I prefer Cyanogen Mod (which is fully open source).

ninjaaron
December 2nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
Meego, KDE Mobile, Maemo...

3rdalbum
December 2nd, 2011, 08:41 AM
Symbian has been open-source for quite a while. Meego was the closest we've come to having a Linux desktop system on a mobile phone.

LowSky
December 2nd, 2011, 08:44 AM
+1 to CyanogenMod

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

My phone is running it right now. I can't wait for release 9.

kio_http
December 2nd, 2011, 08:45 AM
(And I dont mean android)

Is there any chance something like this could happen? Such as a Ubuntu cell OS, or even a completely independent one?

Id really like to be able to take my current phone, and put any OS on it like I do my laptop....

The reason I raise this question is due to the fact that the current cell phone OSes (Android includes) violate your privacy pretty bad, and their market places are littered with programs that might as well be spyware.
Kubuntu has plans for mobile versions. it runs on the Nokia n900. See this (http://www.mobilespedia.com/2011/06/kubuntu-11-10-to-support-mobiles-and-tablets/) and this (http://apachelog.wordpress.com/2011/05/20/kubuntu-11-10-mobile-devices-sneak-peak/)

Chronon
December 2nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
like this?
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page

BrokenKingpin
December 2nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
Meego, KDE Mobile, Maemo...
++... although Meego and Maemo are essentially dead.

I am keeping my eye on is Tizen personally, which is the spiritual successor to Meego, being developed by Intel and Samsung.

https://www.tizen.org/

I use and like Android, but it just doesn't feel like the Linux open source distro that I was hoping for. Maybe it is just too close to Google for my liking... or that it is more a Java OS than a Linux OS.

Simian Man
December 2nd, 2011, 08:14 PM
So you want something like Android, only not as successful?

WinterMadness
December 3rd, 2011, 07:52 PM
So you want something like Android, only not as successful?

Android is a major slap in the face to anyone who wants privacy. I want something that I have control over.

ninjaaron
December 3rd, 2011, 08:53 PM
If that's your main beef, caynogen mod should do it for you.

aysiu
December 3rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
If that's your main beef, caynogen mod should do it for you.
Yeah, as I mentioned before, Android is open source. Get the source and bake your own rom... or use Cyanogen.

Honestly, though, if you care about privacy that much, you shouldn't use a cell phone. Your wireless carrier knows everything (where you are, whom you're calling and for how long, what websites you visit, etc.).

WinterMadness
December 3rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
Yeah, as I mentioned before, Android is open source. Get the source and bake your own rom... or use Cyanogen.

Honestly, though, if you care about privacy that much, you shouldn't use a cell phone. Your wireless carrier knows everything (where you are, whom you're calling and for how long, what websites you visit, etc.).

I know that, but the same could be said about ISPs. Default android has a lot of bloated software and the majority of the apps are pretty much glorified spyware. I basically want a clean OS with apps that are similar to those in the ubuntu repos

Simian Man
December 3rd, 2011, 10:38 PM
Android is a major slap in the face to anyone who wants privacy. I want something that I have control over.

No, it's just not marketed for paranoid control freaks. How can open source software be a "slap in the face" if it's not what you're looking for?

Your Android phone does know some things about you, to integrate different services for you. But there's nothing to stop you using a fake account for it. And if a lot of the apps are "glorified spyware", then just don't use them. There would still be more quality software than there is in the Ubuntu repositories. As aysiu said, your carrier has all your data anyway.

aysiu
December 4th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I know that, but the same could be said about ISPs. Exactly. Privacy doesn't exist. You can take some reasonable precautions to not overshare, but basically you can't hide unless you're in a cave. Privacy on the internet doesn't exist (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/privacy-on-the-internet-still-doesnt-exist/).

Default android has a lot of bloated software and the majority of the apps are pretty much glorified spyware. I basically want a clean OS with apps that are similar to those in the ubuntu repos What's this bloated software of which you speak? Bake your own rom from source, and you have only the apps you want.

Have you taken a look at what's included with a Cyanogen Rom? It's really just basic functionality. In fact, the Google apps (Gmail, Google Maps, Market, YouTube) are completely separate from it.

Complaining about "default Android" being bloated and thus not using it is like saying "default Ubuntu" is bloated and thus not using any Ubuntu-based distro. Just as with Ubuntu you can do a mini.iso installation and pick all the packages yourself (or you can use a Ubuntu-based distro like Linux Mint), you can take the Android source yourself and build a rom, or take an existing rom and tweak it... or just use an existing rom that is very different from what comes on the phone you buy.

WinterMadness
December 4th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Exactly. Privacy doesn't exist. You can take some reasonable precautions to not overshare, but basically you can't hide unless you're in a cave. Privacy on the internet doesn't exist (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/privacy-on-the-internet-still-doesnt-exist/).

What's this bloated software of which you speak? Bake your own rom from source, and you have only the apps you want.

Have you taken a look at what's included with a Cyanogen Rom? It's really just basic functionality. In fact, the Google apps (Gmail, Google Maps, Market, YouTube) are completely separate from it.

Complaining about "default Android" being bloated and thus not using it is like saying "default Ubuntu" is bloated and thus not using any Ubuntu-based distro. Just as with Ubuntu you can do a mini.iso installation and pick all the packages yourself (or you can use a Ubuntu-based distro like Linux Mint), you can take the Android source yourself and build a rom, or take an existing rom and tweak it... or just use an existing rom that is very different from what comes on the phone you buy.

There are degrees of privacy, which is why many of the people on this forum dont use windows, to avoid spyware, despite the fact that their ISPs collect data from them. If everything is black and white, then the spyware issue would be irrelevant.

And again, please try to deal with my actual argument, and if you arent sure what im saying, please dont act so assertive. Yes, I am saying that default Android has issues, and I dont necessarily want to compile and control my own, I was hoping there was another alternative. Cyanogenmod seems to be a good idea (inb4 OMG LOL ANDROID!!!!!!! Nevermind that has nothing to do with my position)

I have NEVER claimed that since Android by default is bloated that I wouldnt use derivatives of it. In fact, I made no claims about that issue, you are arguing against a strawman.

But what I was really looking for, was something like the user who posted the Kubuntu style cell os. He got the message, and he managed to keep his blood pressure down. I cant believe how offended some of you are getting over the comment that default android is bloated and that a lot of the apps that either come with the phones or are on the market are ignoring your privacy, this is not only a completely harmless statement, but its the truth.

aysiu
December 4th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I think you're misreading me. I'm not offended by any of your comments. I'm simply correcting misinformation and trying to get you to realize what your options are instead of dismissing them for no good reason. Have fun with whatever cell OS you choose. I wish you the best.

WinterMadness
December 4th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I think you're misreading me. I'm not offended by any of your comments. I'm simply correcting misinformation and trying to get you to realize what your options are instead of dismissing them for no good reason. Have fun with whatever cell OS you choose. I wish you the best.

Im not saying Android's derivatives are bad, but i AM criticizing the default android that comes with most phones. I also dont like the average android app that comes in the market due to privacy concerns (and let me remind anyone who wants to respond to this, there are degrees to privacy)

Simian Man
December 4th, 2011, 07:31 PM
its pretty clear im not a paranoid person, but i do want some degree privacy(these issues simply will NEVER be black and white). Obviously being that im online, I know that ISPs collect data as well, it wouldnt take a rocket scientist to think i want something comparable to the situation i have now with my pc+internet+linux
My post was primarily explaining how you can achieve some measure of privacy with Android. There are certainly programs for Android that could be called spyware, but just don't use those programs, and don't put in personal information to these apps. You would still have better software selection than other possibilities due to the popularity of Android.

Please use your brain so that you dont have to come off as an aggressive ignoramus. If you have questions about the situation thats presented before you, ask questions, dont just get confused and angry. Also, try to not come off as such a big android fanboy. Its just an OS, its not life or death. calm down.
Wow dude, I think you need to calm down. I am not an Android fanboy, I don't even use Android - though I have developed programs for it.

You still haven't given a valid reason why some Android-based solution, such as Cyanogenmod, wouldn't fit your needs. But that's OK, people are often irrational about things like this.

Mikeb85
December 4th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Im not saying Android's derivatives are bad, but i AM criticizing the default android that comes with most phones. I also dont like the average android app that comes in the market due to privacy concerns (and let me remind anyone who wants to respond to this, there are degrees to privacy)

Then get a Nexus phone (which comes with stock Android - ie. no bloatware), or put a custom rom on an any other Android phone. The bloatware and whatnot is specific to service providers and manufacturers, but standard Android doesn't come with it.

As for privacy, Google allows users to select which information is to be collected and used, and which won't be. You can change these options on Android, on Chrome, on Google apps for iOS, on Google's websites, etc....

You should really be taking issue with your service provider or the manufacturers that load all the 'extras' on to their phones, because none of it is Google's fault. Every Google service I've ever used allows you to set the level of privacy you want.

Edit - just an an example, here's Google's privacy tools on their website for browser based searching: http://www.google.ca/intl/en/privacy/tools.html All their mobile apps (and Android) come with the same ability to customize privacy settings.

WinterMadness
December 5th, 2011, 08:20 AM
You still haven't given a valid reason why some Android-based solution, such as Cyanogenmod, wouldn't fit your needs. But that's OK, people are often irrational about things like this.

maybe thats because they were never a target of my criticism? You really need to read what im saying, you are not good at guessing my position.

I offered many clarifications throughout this thread passed the original post, which gave people the wrong impression somehow, but i have never once indicated that derivatives of android are bad. Relax.

WinterMadness
December 5th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Then get a Nexus phone (which comes with stock Android - ie. no bloatware), or put a custom rom on an any other Android phone. The bloatware and whatnot is specific to service providers and manufacturers, but standard Android doesn't come with it.

As for privacy, Google allows users to select which information is to be collected and used, and which won't be. You can change these options on Android, on Chrome, on Google apps for iOS, on Google's websites, etc....

You should really be taking issue with your service provider or the manufacturers that load all the 'extras' on to their phones, because none of it is Google's fault. Every Google service I've ever used allows you to set the level of privacy you want.

Edit - just an an example, here's Google's privacy tools on their website for browser based searching: http://www.google.ca/intl/en/privacy/tools.html All their mobile apps (and Android) come with the same ability to customize privacy settings.

thats partly true, nexus phones dont come with as much, but there are some apps that im not allowed to delete on it, such as the amazon mp3 thing. I have a nexus one that i bought from google that was unlocked. Cyanogenmod looks good, and so does kde mobile (which was really what i was looking for) when it comes out