PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Enabling DRI in NVIDIA 9600M GT

shad0w7
December 1st, 2011, 04:29 PM
I need o enable "DRI" on my ubuntu 11.10.

here is what I get when I run

glxinfo | grep rendering:

Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 285.05.09,
but this NVIDIA driver component has version 290.10. Please make
sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components
have the same version.
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)

now my xorg.conf file contains:

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 285.05.09 (buildd@charichuelo) Thu Oct 13 03:20:18 UTC 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Ancor Communications Inc ASUS VH242H"
HorizSync 30.0 - 85.0
VertRefresh 55.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 9600M GT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP: NULL"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1920x1080 +0+0, DFP: NULL"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

is there any simple way to enable DRI ? ? thanks

MAFoElffen
December 1st, 2011, 07:45 PM
I need o enable "DRI" on my ubuntu 11.10.

here is what I get when I run

glxinfo | grep rendering:Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 285.05.09,
but this NVIDIA driver component has version 290.10. Please make
sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components
have the same version.
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)

now my xorg.conf file contains:

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 285.05.09 (buildd@charichuelo) Thu Oct 13 03:20:18 UTC 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Ancor Communications Inc ASUS VH242H"
HorizSync 30.0 - 85.0
VertRefresh 55.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 9600M GT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP: NULL"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1920x1080 +0+0, DFP: NULL"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

is there any simple way to enable DRI ? ? thanks
I have 2x NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX'es SLI Bridged. Was using Nvidia's binary 290.10 until the middle of last week. In Ubuntu's updates, there was something that blew my driver install out. I had uninstall and reinstall my drivers.

I'm the person here with the "Graphics Issue Resolution" Sticky, helping people resolve their graphics problems... and here I was rolling back drivers (286.05) to resolve my own.

Reporting 2 different versions of pieces? Go to one of my 2 tutorials:
Installing NVidia Binary Drivers (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10909540&postcount=280)
Installing NVidia Packaged Drivers (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11467050&postcount=797)
...Based on which "type" driver you have installed. Each have a section that first removes all instances of older drivers before the install.

If you look at your Xorg.0.log, you should see dri and dri2... if it loaded or not. When each module loads, it reports it's version and other info about it. But you'll see both those as a part of xorg-server and if they needed to be reinstalled:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xorg-server

But usually it not that. "Usually" I reinstall the nvidia driver and it comes back up.

efflandt
December 1st, 2011, 10:28 PM
How did you actually install the 2 different version nvidia drivers? I had no end of problems when my previous video card would sometimes either black out (lost video signal entirely) between grub menu and login screen, or start and login properly and freeze sometimes soon, or sometimes days later. At some point while using nvidia-current-updates and unable to boot into gui, from the console I tried uninstalling that and installing nvidia-current (both 2.80.13). Then I added x-swat to my repositories to get most recent version (290.10). But then I ended up with both nvidia versions and X was still running 2.80.13 apparently from console install. Then when I tried deactivating 2.80.10 using Additional Drivers (which said Activated by not in use), I could not boot into X at all.

I ended up reinstalling 64-bit 11.10 from scratch, added x-swat right away, and properly updated to nvidia 2.90.10. But still had boot problems or lockup because my year old Galaxie GT 430 apparently was dying (also locked up frequently in 64-bit Win7 w/various drivers, and rarely in Maverick with same x-swat 2.90.12 drivers), even after re-seating the card or using different cable.

So I got a new EVGA GTX 550 Ti (3 year warranty) and that works perfectly in all OS's (faster than the GT 430 as well).

My point is that if you go about different irregular methods to install video drivers, like console or nvidia script instead of regular or x-swat repositories with Ubuntu X tools, you can sometimes make a mess that is difficult to clean up because everything might not be removed or updated.

MAFoElffen
December 2nd, 2011, 12:46 AM
How did you actually install the 2 different version nvidia drivers? I had no end of problems when my previous video card would sometimes either black out (lost video signal entirely) between grub menu and login screen, or start and login properly and freeze sometimes soon, or sometimes days later. At some point while using nvidia-current-updates and unable to boot into gui, from the console I tried uninstalling that and installing nvidia-current (both 2.80.13). Then I added x-swat to my repositories to get most recent version (290.10). But then I ended up with both nvidia versions and X was still running 2.80.13 apparently from console install. Then when I tried deactivating 2.80.10 using Additional Drivers (which said Activated by not in use), I could not boot into X at all.

I ended up reinstalling 64-bit 11.10 from scratch, added x-swat right away, and properly updated to nvidia 2.90.10. But still had boot problems or lockup because my year old Galaxie GT 430 apparently was dying (also locked up frequently in 64-bit Win7 w/various drivers, and rarely in Maverick with same x-swat 2.90.12 drivers), even after re-seating the card or using different cable.

So I got a new EVGA GTX 550 Ti (3 year warranty) and that works perfectly in all OS's (faster than the GT 430 as well).

My point is that if you go about different irregular methods to install video drivers, like console or nvidia script instead of regular or x-swat repositories with Ubuntu X tools, you can sometimes make a mess that is difficult to clean up because everything might not be removed or updated.
@efflandt

How? Been seeing this more and more. Is common with NVidia as well as ATI. As Both vendors recommend, ensure you have old drivers uninstalled before installing new. This happens with both binaries and packaged drivers. More common now with the new Additional Drivers applets is the user installing multiple versions of nvidia drivers, even though there is code written into that applet that is supposed to prevent that...

Thats why I instruct people on how to remove all instances and fragments of drivers, whether they would be installing binary or packaged. If x-swat or edgers on a distribution upgrade, then a PPA purge before the upgrade.

Why different? Most say personal preference or to resolve problems. Just like you went to x-swat... You didn't stay with mainline did you. LOL All's well.

But yes, "If" someone stays with one method... Less of a chance.