PDA

View Full Version : Gaim vs. Wengophone vs. Skype

Johnsie
June 4th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Wengo
I downloaded the lates beta build from the following address:
http://wengofiles.wengo.fr/nightlybuilds/binary/NG/GNULinux/
Works well... could use a few improvements but looks quite nice and promising.

Gaim
I've also checked out the latest beta of Gaim which automatic installs.... I liked gaim because it's quite easy to use but I find it very basic when it comes to functionality and the people in #gaim on irc can be quite rude sometimes :-)

Skype.... Was ok too but since most of my friends don't use it I hardly run it. Had better sound quality than my Windows box.

Which do you prefer?

Please don't refer to the 0.99version of Wengophone that was in included in Dapper. I'm talking about version 2.0 Beta builds.

prizrak
June 4th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I prefer Gaim, but I don't use VoIP through my computer.

curuxz
June 4th, 2006, 08:57 PM
erm why is gaim in that list, the other 2 are VoIP software gaim is an IM client :S

Johnsie
June 4th, 2006, 09:01 PM
The new Wengo (version 2.X) supports voip but also has encorporated instant messaging through the major networks (aol,msn,yahoo,jabber,gtalk etc.).

Skype has basic instant messaging capabilities.

mips
June 4th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Does wengo2 support sending/receiving of files ?

Johnsie
June 4th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Strangely not :-(
I'd like to think they were aiming for that but I have no idea.

mips
June 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Would be a handy feature. Really need to dump skype.

angkor
June 5th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Other.

I use ekiga for my sip account. Works great. The sound quality beats skype (:twisted: )hands down.

I'm getting pretty sick of skype's linux (non-existant in the last year) support. No more skype for me until they release 2.* for linux, if they ever...

fakie_flip
April 19th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I can't get my IM accounts to login with Wengophone such as yahoo, msn, and aim. Has anyone had trouble with this or know a solution?

karellen
April 19th, 2007, 09:04 AM
gaim for chatting, I don't use VoIP in ubuntu (in xp I use google talk and I like it a lot - I get a sound quality better than in skype)