PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu

dRounse
December 1st, 2011, 04:10 AM
I'm just wondering why there is really no publicity for Lubuntu, I personally prefer Lubuntu, not only over the other *buntus but over every other Linux distro out there. But I see absolutely no ads or anything for it.

mystika1
December 1st, 2011, 07:20 AM
Lubuntu is my distro of choice. I can customize it perfectly and my machine is super fast.

Penny
:KS

Telengard C64
December 1st, 2011, 07:22 AM
That's what the community is for. Start a blog. Tell your friends. Share your good experiences with others. I know I'd like to read what you have to say about it.

Rodney9
December 1st, 2011, 09:01 AM
For How-To's, Information and Screen-Casts on Lubuntu go to the
Lubuntu One Stop Thread -

Lubuntu One Stop Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755)

Rodney

Mike Loubet
December 1st, 2011, 09:10 AM
I think part of it is that Lubuntu only became an official Ubuntu variant with the last 11.10 release, before that it was unofficial. LXDE in general is pretty under-publicised, it's amazing how much you can to with such little resources and without sacrificing too much usability, more people should know about it!

nothingspecial
December 1st, 2011, 09:14 AM
Not a request for support.

Moved to the cafe.

asifnaz
December 1st, 2011, 12:21 PM
I used Lubuntu 10..04 on a very old PC and I was amazed with its light weight and productivity .

If it has become official ubuntu I wonder if it still comes with all codes pre-installed..?

wolfen69
December 1st, 2011, 07:35 PM
I'm just wondering why there is really no publicity for Lubuntu

Where's the publicity for any distro? I havn't seen any.

wolfen69
December 1st, 2011, 07:37 PM
I used Lubuntu 10..04 on a very old PC and I was amazed with its light weight and productivity .

If it has become official ubuntu I wonder if it still comes with all codes pre-installed..?

What is codes preinstalled? Do you mean codecs? And no would be the answer. No version of ubuntu comes with "codes" preinstalled.

BrokenKingpin
December 1st, 2011, 08:08 PM
I actually thought Lubuntu was getting a lot of talk these days.

If any *buntu needs more publicity it is Xubuntu. Don't get me wrong, I like Lubuntu, but I find Xubuntu the perfect balance between usability and speed. Lubuntu may be faster, but I didn't find it all that much faster on my older netbook than Xubuntu, and I just find Xfce easier to configure than LXDE.

Mike Loubet
December 1st, 2011, 08:54 PM
Where's the publicity for any distro? I havn't seen any.

I think it means publicity as in talk and discussion on blogs/forums etc. That's the only sort of publicity there is for Linux, there have been very few conventional ads.

Lubuntu has really moved forward, I find I'm using it increasingly on old desktops and on netbooks since Unity, which tends to make a new netbook feel like it's 6 years old (not a big fan, I use KDE on newer computers now since it was shipped with Ubuntu as default). It's a good replacement of Xubuntu as well, which wasn't much quicker than Gnome 2.

Linux Mint LXDE is pretty good too, I gave it a try and feels a lot less "budget" than Lubuntu, with it's nicer themes and Faenza icons and it has slightly different default applications. Same thing really, just nicer to look at.

MG&TL
December 1st, 2011, 08:56 PM
Mmm...I thought that about lubuntu too, until 11.10. Whatever they did with 11.10, it looks good.

Telengard C64
December 1st, 2011, 09:13 PM
I think it means publicity as in talk and discussion on blogs/forums etc.

^this

Lubuntu has really moved forward, I find I'm using it increasingly on old desktops and on netbooks since Unity, which tends to make a new netbook feel like it's 6 years old (not a big fan, I use KDE on newer computers now since it was shipped with Ubuntu as default). It's a good replacement of Xubuntu as well, which wasn't much quicker than Gnome 2.

^better

Want people to know more about your favorite flavor of Ubuntu? Start blogging. Post videos on popular sites. Spread the word (politely and respectfully) to communities outside Ubuntuforums.

dRounse
December 2nd, 2011, 12:18 AM
I use Lubuntu on my desktop, which is more than capable of running something a lot more graphically intensive. I don't really need crazy cool effects and stuff I use my computer for programming, schoolwork, and the internet, none of those really require KDE. Sure Xubuntu and Lubuntu are lightweight (I think Lubuntu is lighter) but I haven't had any problems with Lubuntu, it does everything any other distro can do, but its a lot lighter, as for Xubuntu I don't feel it's any better at anything. And I meant publicity as any talk of distros, because I was looking ast a wesite i think it was googlubuntu and it had no mention of Lubuntu anywhere, but it mentioned Edubuntu?!?!?

lorin30
December 2nd, 2011, 12:39 AM
I actually thought Lubuntu was getting a lot of talk these days.

If any *buntu needs more publicity it is Xubuntu. Don't get me wrong, I like Lubuntu, but I find Xubuntu the perfect balance between usability and speed. Lubuntu may be faster, but I didn't find it all that much faster on my older netbook than Xubuntu, and I just find Xfce easier to configure than LXDE.

Yeah, it's seemed to me Lubuntu is everywhere these days. I gave it a try but the slight decrease in resource use from xfce wasn't worth the aesthetic differences. If I want an ugly looking DE I want it as ugly as possible, which is why I use wmaker.

dRounse
December 3rd, 2011, 07:57 AM
is Xubuntu pronounced Zoobuntu?

wolfen69
December 3rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
is Xubuntu pronounced Zoobuntu?

Basically.

Sam_Scribbler
December 3rd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Lubuntu is a step in the right direction, but Mint LXDE is currently more stable and like all "-buntus", Lubuntu still carries much of Ubuntu's bulk with it. Besides, in terms of light footprints, neither one can compete with the likes of DSL, Vector, and KNOPPIX.

Give it time. Once it strikes that perfect balance between features and usability, it'll pick up traction.

amjjawad
December 3rd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Long story short, do NOT wait for anyone to do that for you but instead, do it yourself you way, period. THIS IS what I've been doing since 3 months or so and those who have been close and watching, they know what I mean. Lubuntu One Stop Thread is just a simple example of what I mean.

Linux is great and I think all Linux Users need to do something to return the favor to this great OS.

Linuxratty
December 3rd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Both Lubuntu and Xubuntu look really good...Come spring,I'll just have to flip a coin to help me decide.

Dustintendo
December 3rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
if you want lightweight and configurable do an unbuntu mini install and sudo apt-get xorg xfce4 file-roller xfce4-terminal browser-of-choice synaptic gdm

Telengard C64
December 3rd, 2011, 10:03 PM
Long story short, do NOT wait for anyone to do that for you but instead, do it yourself you way, period. THIS IS what I've been doing since 3 months or so and those who have been close and watching, they know what I mean. Lubuntu One Stop Thread is just a simple example of what I mean.

Linux is great and I think all Linux Users need to do something to return the favor to this great OS.

Well said!

Artemis3
December 5th, 2011, 08:20 AM
if you want lightweight and configurable do an unbuntu mini install and sudo apt-get xorg xfce4 file-roller xfce4-terminal browser-of-choice synaptic gdm

No, we don't use file-roller, that would bring a whole bunch of gnome things. We use Xarchiver... For cd burning Xfburn, Ristretto for image viewing, Leafpad for text editing, etc. See: http://wiki.xfce.org/recommendedapps

You should also add gamin in there.

lorin30
December 5th, 2011, 08:49 AM

Yep and doing it like this installs ~500 packages less than a default Xubuntu install.

tjeremiah
December 12th, 2011, 06:34 AM
would I notice a difference if I just install Lubuntu via synaptic package manager? Im currently running Ubuntu 11.10 Unity 2D on a netbook and its a bit slow.

mips
December 12th, 2011, 10:22 AM
would I notice a difference if I just install Lubuntu via synaptic package manager? Im currently running Ubuntu 11.10 Unity 2D on a netbook and its a bit slow.

Yes but I would suggest uninstalling Ubuntu Desktop meta package to get rid of all the extra stuff.

Cleanest way is probably a fresh install of Lubuntu.

amjjawad
December 12th, 2011, 03:59 PM

Installing Lubuntu via Synaptic is NOT like install Lubuntu normally from LiveCD/LiveUSB.

If you need more information about Lubuntu, please have a look at my signature - Lubuntu One Stop Thread.

amjjawad
December 12th, 2011, 04:00 PM
cleanest way is probably a fresh install of lubuntu.

+1

tjeremiah
December 12th, 2011, 04:43 PM
ok. I first tried the LiveUSB but the wireless internet, along with the ethernet fail to work. I installed all the right drivers, etc, and nothing. Its always a pain with "buntus" when it comes to wireless and I dont want another headache right now trying to get it to work on a fresh install.

Ill check out the threads later to see if I can find a solution.

amjjawad
December 12th, 2011, 05:18 PM
ok. I first tried the LiveUSB but the wireless internet, along with the ethernet fail to work. I installed all the right drivers, etc, and nothing. Its always a pain with "buntus" when it comes to wireless and I dont want another headache right now trying to get it to work on a fresh install.

Ill check out the threads later to see if I can find a solution.

I understand what you mean. What kind of Wireless Adapter do you have?
Perhaps with 12.04 (it uses Linux Kernel 3.2) everything will work out of the box :)

tjeremiah
December 12th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I understand what you mean. What kind of Wireless Adapter do you have?
Perhaps with 12.04 (it uses Linux Kernel 3.2) everything will work out of the box :)

Broadcom STA. It was a pain to get it to work with Ubuntu about a yr ago. It works but not how I would like it (sometimes fails to load on startup). I tried Lubuntu, installed the drivers after hours of trying to get it to install completely, blue light comes on but no connection, nothing.

So I guess ill just install Lubuntu via package manager for now and wait for 12.04 to see if the wireless solution is fixed or not.

amjjawad
December 12th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Broadcom STA. It was a pain to get it to work with Ubuntu about a yr ago.
I expected that. Yes, I know and thank God I don't have such adapter. I know many users have problems with it. Sad but true.

So I guess ill just install Lubuntu via package manager for now and wait for 12.04 to see if the wireless solution is fixed or not.

Hopefully :)