PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] live cd install failure blank screen

Comfort_fal
November 30th, 2011, 10:32 PM
i recently bought a new computer, and have been trying to install linux on it, 11.10 x64.

it is a HP pavilion dv6-6117dx.

2.4GHz/1.5GHz VISION A8 Technology from AMD with AMD Quad-Core A8-3500M Accelerated Processor

AMD Radeon HD 6620G Discrete-Class Graphics

preinstalled windows 7.

i am pretty sure i picked a unsupported graphics card or something.

i have tried booting from usb, and i have also tried "nomodeset' boot.

any idea would be welcome.

Steve H
November 30th, 2011, 10:44 PM
This may be a stupid question but are you sure that your system is 64bit?

Comfort_fal
November 30th, 2011, 11:05 PM
i checked and yes it is x64, but i might be a good idea to try x32. i will see if that works

BC59
November 30th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I checked HP pavilion dv6-6117dx is 64bit.

Try to use the Live CD you are using not to install but to Try Ubuntu, to check if the system is working in your computer.

About the USB you are using, maybe is not well prepared. Unfortunately only a CD is working well for installations. USBs create problems and when you have to extract them, you have to shutdown the computer, safe eject is corrupting the files.

Comfort_fal
November 30th, 2011, 11:15 PM
i have tried to use the "try Ubuntu" and it gives me a blank screen.
i can get to command line, but thats all.
i am not sure if my computer is incompatiable, or just some mistake i am making is causing it not to work

BC59
November 30th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Well most probably is USB problem. Try to recreate it.

ajgreeny
December 1st, 2011, 12:07 AM
What graphic card does that machine have. There are big problems with some of the newer ATI cards and 11.10, and also some of the new nvidia optimus cards are causing problems which some users have solved with the bumblebee driver.

Search bumblebee nvidia optimus if you have one of those cards.

Comfort_fal
December 1st, 2011, 01:35 AM
AMD Radeon HD 6620G

i was thinking that was the problem.
I think it is a new one, or recently put out enough that there isn't support for it?
I still haven't tried all the options, but that might be the answer.

MAFoElffen
December 1st, 2011, 08:03 AM
AMD Radeon HD 6620G

i was thinking that was the problem.
I think it is a new one, or recently put out enough that there isn't support for it?
I still haven't tried all the options, but that might be the answer.
Use " radeon.modeset=0 " as a boot option. Then:
Installing ATI Packaged Drivers (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11467052&postcount=798)

Yes, it is supported... In fact the review on your card at Phoronix was on an Ubuntu box:
AMD Llano Graphics / Radeon HD 6620G On Linux (http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16141)

Comfort_fal
December 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM
thank you for the help,

but i tried installing 11.04, and it seemed to recognize my graphics card.
it allowed me to "try ubuntu" and had no other problems, beside the wireless not working, but that isn't related to the blank screen. if anyone is having blank screen trouble you might want to try using natty.

thanks for the help.

ubuntu has the best community.

east_injun
December 9th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I can concur with the above observation. I recently purchased an ASUS laptop which has AMD A6 processor with RADEON HD 6720G2 graphics card. It was working perfectly with ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal (amd64 version). However when I tried to upgrade to 11.10 the graphical display stopped working. I could go into recovery mode and get a terminal but nothing I tried from the suggestions on thes forums fixed it. Thereafter I also tried to do a fresh installs of ubuntu 11.10 64bit followed by 32bit but to no avail.
My conclusion is also that the graphics drivers and the new Linux kernel 3.x are not playing well together yet. I hope this can be sorted out in time so that those of us with AMD processors can also upgrade to 11.10.

jackharvest
January 23rd, 2012, 07:51 AM
When I plop in the 11.10 or 12, or 11.04, the result is the same: Black Screen when loading.

Using radeon.modeset=0 gets me at least to the "dots loading" screen, followed by a black and white login screen (just text). Using "startx" gets me Fatal Server Error: "no screens found".

:\ I wonder when it'll natively get supported... seeing as AMD is pushing this into almost all of it's laptops.