PDA

View Full Version : Looking for simple USB IR solution

cliveb
November 30th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I've recently been experimenting with Mythbuntu 11.10, with a view to building a brand new Myth system on an Acer Revo. Things seem to be going well, and I've reached the stage of thinking about remote control. As far as I can ascertain, the Revo (which I haven't bought yet) doesn't have a serial port, so it'll have to be USB. The often-recommended solution seems to be a Streamzap, but I'm in the UK and this device appears unobtainable over here.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive USB IR receiver that is readily available in the UK, has stable Linux drivers, and which will operate with a wide variety of remotes? (I've got a drawer full of random DVD/VCR/TV/Hauppauge handsets kicking about).

mutant_matt
December 2nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
If you want an IR USB receiver that can take input from any random remote, then I would too be interested in any help anyone has to offer (eventually, I'd like to be able to use an old TiVo "Peanut" remote to control Myth, as I have 10 years "muscle memory" with it, and it is brilliantly designed!).

However, you might want to try the MCE USB, as it pretty much "just works". I too have a Revo based (Mythbuntu) 11.10 install, using this, and setting it up was mostly very easy. It was 15 in Maplin (approx 13/14 online), and is labelled as the "Windows Vista/Windows 7" MCE USB, which has a mousepad built in, so you can control the mouse outside of Myth on normal apps/the OS, and comes with a USB IR receiver dongle.

I plan to put together a thread at some point, detailing the steps I took to get this fully working, on 11.10, as I have pulled together various tips on various pages to get this working fully (it works in a basic sense, out of the box on 11.10 with no work at all).

HTH!

Matt :)

cliveb
December 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
However, you might want to try the MCE USB, as it pretty much "just works". I too have a Revo based (Mythbuntu) 11.10 install, using this, and setting it up was mostly very easy.

I plan to put together a thread at some point, detailing the steps I took to get this fully working, on 11.10, as I have pulled together various tips on various pages to get this working fully (it works in a basic sense, out of the box on 11.10 with no work at all).
Matt,

Thanks for your response. Looks like an MCE remote is the path of least pain. I'll keep a lookout for your thread detailing how to get it fully working.