PDA

View Full Version : How to introduce new users to Ubuntu

manfromthezoo
November 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Hello Folks.

I just blogged with a few suggestions, regarding how I do this. I believe the key difference in making a successful recommend is not to take the 'you must convert' attitude - but rather that Ubuntu is another valid choice, alongside any other OS.

Getting people to 'invest' in Ubuntu as a part of their day-to-day is a more long-lasting and meaningful approach. IMHO, of course...:)

http://ubuntubotherer.blogspot.com/2011/11/investment-opportunities.html

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 1st, 2011, 01:12 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=865750

bluexrider
December 1st, 2011, 01:34 AM
Everything you need to know about *buntu you learned in Kindergarten. Its all about Show-N-Tell.

I've had several dozen "investors" that were "converted" to Ubuntu in some form. Some Ubuntu, some Mint, and some Pinguy. But in the long run....still the same. Like a four car family, from Volkswagens to Cadillacs. Does it really matter what you drive, they all get you there.

Happy *buntu

jjex22
December 1st, 2011, 01:51 AM
I think we could try and be a bit more positive sometimes - yes a lot of people are experiencing problems with gnome 3.2 and the linux 3.0.x kernel - but hopefully the release of Mint 12 last week helped to show people that they are working with the same bugs. I think it's important to remember that these are bleeding edge and brand new - so definitely not stable - we do have the stable branch in the LTS, and even though we are baring down on the next LTS in four months, I think it's help a lot to remind newbies - who do check out the forums - that 10.04 is the stable branch.

If I were a new user at the moment browsing the forums I'd probably go somewhere else reading all the problems! of course if you're having problems mention it but some people do seem to be creating a bit of a rats from a sinking ship image because they don't like the latest release - I've been running linx mint 12 since launch and can confirm that aside from the personal preferance of the Unity interface, all the underlying hardware and gnome bugs I experienced in 11.10 are present in LM12.

10.04 is one of my all time favourite OS's and I think it's worth mentioning more. I guess actually I like that Idea - ubuntu could follow upstream and call it's LTS stable and it's current releases current - that way more noobs would download the stable I'd imagine and have less problems?

BlacqWolf
December 1st, 2011, 02:55 AM
Well, one day I had to help someone restore their computer which couldn't boot (from what I read, it's a common problem with the OS on there). It had no CD drive, and I couldn't boot from anything other than the network, because other boot methods required things I didn't have. I tried netbooting and installing XP, but for some reason it wouldn't work; it kept asking for a nonexistent password. I tried disabling the network firewall and firewall of the computer I used as a server, and a lot of other things, and it just wouldn't work. This went on for days until I gave up.

I then tried to get Ubuntu working on it using the network install image. Worked like a charm. I presented it to the person I was repairing for, and asked if it was OK. She was confused at first, but liked it. I showed the person some of the basics of the OS and explained how it's fully customizable to whatever way they like, and she ended up loving it. In fact, now I notice she prefers using this computer over her others that have Windows.

So I think Ubuntu, or Linux in general, is widely appealing and capable. And, with a friendly greeting, I think people can easily take it on and adopt it as their OS of choice. I know I did. So I think that when you try to convert someone to a Linux, if you're friendly about it and show them around the OS in a non-discouraging way, they can easily adopt it and eventually love it.

rg4w
December 1st, 2011, 05:51 AM
Do great things, accomplish much, live well. When people ask how you do it, just tell 'em, "With Ubuntu, of course!" :)