PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox

dRounse
November 30th, 2011, 07:52 AM
So here is a thought...
What if you could configure Dropbox to be a server or something like that for all your files on your computer? Now this question needs to be explained more... I mean what if you could use the standard 2GB of free space, and just make it so when you are on Dropbox on something else like a laptop you can access your whole hard drive on your desktop. I know this would just be a server you could set up anyway, but right now I dont have money for a server, and I'm in the process of building a cheapo server out of an old Acer desktop. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid idea.

PhilGil
November 30th, 2011, 08:00 AM
You mean like this (http://www.tonido.com/)? Or this (http://sparkleshare.org/)?

Primefalcon
November 30th, 2011, 08:11 AM
You could get a cheap godaddy shared account and ssh/sftp into it as needed

CryptAck
November 30th, 2011, 08:14 AM
You could get a cheap godaddy shared account and ssh/sftp into it as needed

Yup, and it works awesome! :)

forrestcupp
November 30th, 2011, 02:41 PM
That would be awesome, but it wouldn't work with Dropbox. Dropbox clients are programmed to sync a directory with their own server. A similar program could be created, but if Dropbox clients are proprietary, there's no hope of changing it unless you could talk their devs into adding a feature like that. It would be cool if it could be that way, though.

I could be wrong, but I think you'll have to have a static IP address to build a server that can be accessed from the internet outside of your home network.

BrokenKingpin
November 30th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Could you not just take your old acer desktop and setup a Samaba share on it. Then any files you want to share to all your computers just put them in that share.

And if at that point you still want some files synced between all computers you could use Dropbox/Spideraok to sync two gigs of that share to all PCs.

dRounse
November 30th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Could you not just take your old acer desktop and setup a Samaba share on it. Then any files you want to share to all your computers just put them in that share.

And if at that point you still want some files synced between all computers you could use Dropbox/Spideraok to sync two gigs of that share to all PCs.

I could do that, I just wanted to come up up with something crazy like almost reconfiguring Dropbox

Copper Bezel
December 1st, 2011, 12:37 AM
If you're looking for crazy things to do with Dropbox, try moving the configuration folder for a browser - or anything else - into your Dropbox, then symlinking back to it, from a pair of machines. = )

Edit: And possibly .local, if you just want to break something. = D

BrokenKingpin
December 2nd, 2011, 08:35 PM
I could do that, I just wanted to come up up with something crazy like almost reconfiguring Dropbox
Try writing your own sync scripts using rsync if you just want to tinker. If you just want a solution that is simple and works, Samba share all the way. Before trying anything too crazy backup your data, or you might just end up losing it.

KingYaba
December 2nd, 2011, 09:11 PM
I stopped using Dropbox when Ubuntu One came out.

ikt
December 2nd, 2011, 09:27 PM
I stopped using Dropbox when Ubuntu One came out.

I stopped using both when sparkleshare came out.

Plumtreed
December 2nd, 2011, 09:55 PM
You might get to where you want to go with 'owncloud'....easier to 'play' with!