PDA

View Full Version : 6.06 : programming language available

Browser_ice
June 4th, 2006, 07:39 PM
From out of the box installed 6.06, what is included/ready_to_use in it in terms of programing language we can learn start using ?

What programing language is possible on it but needs minimal downloads/installation ?

I know I wanna learn JAVA. I used to have Eclipse at the office but on 5.10 Ubuntu, it ran fine at first but then started to have library corruption. I tried to remove it. Haven't tried it/installed it on 6.06 yet.

I also want to do PHP. I think I saw a php edit on 6.06

I know I can do UNIX Shell on it (Linux version).

In general, its more related to Internet site building/programming.

Added comments : Oh I forgot. I also wanna do SQL based applications running on Internet.

loell
June 5th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Python and Perl is already installed by default :)

johnnymac
June 5th, 2006, 03:10 AM
So if you want to do web-based stuff with PHP and a SQL engine you'll need to install:

Apache, PHP, MySQL - they don't come ready to go.

As for other programming lanugauges scritping languages are ready to go and if you load build essential you'll get what you need for C/C++ based stuff.

Anything else can be pulled in through apt-get

steve.horsley
June 7th, 2006, 01:14 AM
If you want java and a minimal download IDE, can I suggest bluej http://www.bluej.org? It's a small free IDE, developed for teaching java. I think it's a very good starter IDE.

tht00
June 7th, 2006, 05:09 AM
From out of the box installed 6.06, what is included/ready_to_use in it in terms of programing language we can learn start using ?

What programing language is possible on it but needs minimal downloads/installation ?

I know I wanna learn JAVA. I used to have Eclipse at the office but on 5.10 Ubuntu, it ran fine at first but then started to have library corruption. I tried to remove it. Haven't tried it/installed it on 6.06 yet.

I also want to do PHP. I think I saw a php edit on 6.06

I know I can do UNIX Shell on it (Linux version).

In general, its more related to Internet site building/programming.

Added comments : Oh I forgot. I also wanna do SQL based applications running on Internet.

Hmm... minimal install...

The 'build-essential' package includes the gcc (C) and g++ (C++) compiler. It's required to build programs from source anyway. It's also a whopping 7KB download (< 2 sec on 56k dialup). ;)

C/C++ isn't quite appropriate for web development, though, good languages to know.

BTW, why isn't build-essential included with the distro?

Mike Douglas
June 7th, 2006, 08:58 AM
BTW, why isn't build-essential included with the distro?

Jeff Waugh (https://launchpad.net/people/jdub): "I would strongly suggest that 'secure by default' means 'no compilers for the script kiddies'. Let's not do this, it freaks me out."

exclipy
June 7th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Jeff Waugh (https://launchpad.net/people/jdub): "I would strongly suggest that 'secure by default' means 'no compilers for the script kiddies'. Let's not do this, it freaks me out."

Um.... what stops the script kiddies from installing compilers, and why are compilers so dangerous in the hands of script kiddies?

Mike Douglas
June 7th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Um.... what stops the script kiddies from installing compilers, and why are compilers so dangerous in the hands of script kiddies?

Here is the whole debate regarding build-essential: (better than me misquoting)

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/sounder/2004-September/000524.html

adamkane
June 7th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Many languages are easy to install:
C/C++, Perl, Pythonor PHP.

Ruby and Java are also pretty easy to install.

Use the O'Reilly series of books no matter which language you choose.

Browser_ice
June 7th, 2006, 09:57 PM
No one seamed to have answered about Eclipse.

Has anyone else had problems with it in 5.10 ?

Has anyone have problems with 6.06 ?
- Did you fix it and how ?

Browser_ice
June 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Here is the whole debate regarding build-essential: (better than me misquoting)

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/sounder/2004-September/000524.html

Going to your link brings this below content up. Not sure if its the right thing or if there is a problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

build-essential
Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Fri Sep 3 18:11:43 CDT 2004

Previous message: LCD resolution probe failing in current daily
Next message: build-essential
Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just noticed that build-essential and its dependencies only add about 15M
on top of the existing desktop install. How about we promote
build-essential to desktop?

--
- mdz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous message: LCD resolution probe failing in current daily
Next message: build-essential
Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

More information about the sounder mailing list

simplyw00x
June 7th, 2006, 11:03 PM
It's a mailing list discussion. Click the 'Next message: build-essential' link to view the next message. The discussion continues for quite some time and is a... shall we say... interesting insight into the Ubuntu dev team. The religious 'THIS ISN'T LINUX IT'S A DESKTOP PLATFORM' fervour is pretty chilling to say the least.