PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Desktop shows all contents of 'home' folder

curedum
November 29th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I'm a recent convert to Linux and installed Lubuntu 11.10 on my netbook without problems. For the last day or two my Lubuntu desktop has been displaying all the folders in my home folder on the desktop. If I try to delete the icons from the desktop I also delete my home folder. How can I clean up my Lubuntu desktop?

Another (longstanding) problem is that I can't change from Lubuntu default to the netbook interface on login - after selecting the netbook version and inputting name + password it just throws me back to login.

Any ideas, please?

John

Rex Bouwense
November 29th, 2011, 04:48 PM
By default, the Lubuntu desktop (at least in 11.04 an 11.10) is installed with no icons/shortcuts. How did you create the shortcut? If you merely right clicked the application in the menu and chose Add to Desktop, all you have to do is right click the shortcut on the desktop to delete the shortcut. I just tried it and it works for me.

curedum
November 29th, 2011, 06:49 PM
No, I didn't put any icons onto the desktop - the folders on the desktop appeared for no obvious reason and seem to be the same as in my "home" folder. That is, I've got the contents of my home folder on my desktop! But the same contents also appear in my home folder.

I read somewhere that in Lubuntu the desktop is handled by PCMan file manager, so maybe that's got mis-configured.

Also I can't understand why I can't change the desktop from Lubuntu at login - I could do so easily when I first installed it.

Very odd....