PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a feed reader for me?

TeeAhr1
June 4th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I know we've been through this before. I've been using liferea, mostly because it was the first one reccommended to me. I'm a little dissatisfied with a few things, mainly that there's no "search this site for feeds" option. I tried Owl, but it kills my RAM (Java ain't all it's cracked up to be). Anyone want to lay a suggestion out there for me?

-p.

gerbman
June 4th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I know we've been through this before. I've been using liferea, mostly because it was the first one reccommended to me. I'm a little dissatisfied with a few things, mainly that there's no "search this site for feeds" option. I tried Owl, but it kills my RAM (Java ain't all it's cracked up to be). Anyone want to lay a suggestion out there for me?

-p.How about Akregator?

johnc4510
June 4th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I use Sage which is a firefox extention.

TeeAhr1
June 4th, 2006, 07:24 PM
How about Akregator?
I'm running gnome. Thx, though...

gerbman
June 4th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I'm running gnome. Thx, though...It will still work :-)

AndyCooll
June 4th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I'm running gnome. Thx, though...

That makes no difference. You can still install it. KDE apps will work fine in GNOME.

:cool:

TeeAhr1
June 4th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Has anyone tried BottomFeeder? I use it at work, it's supposedly cross-platform, but trying to run the blob just gives me "cannot run binary." The sourceforge page lists no dependencies. I just shot off an email to the dev, but if anyone out there in TV Land can help me out, that'd be cool too...

-p.

RAV TUX
June 5th, 2006, 12:16 AM
I'm currently using a feeder that runs as a ticker in my firefox toolbar...but I have found it annoying lately.

anyone know of a RSS news reader extension for firefox?

Future of Microsoft:

"(Microsoft/Windows...)
3) 100000 Viruses
4) An unprecedent unstability
5) If you want to know about how will feel ******* in 2 decades, use an OS X Mac now."
--Doctor Zoidberg

aysiu
June 5th, 2006, 12:19 AM
I like the Bloglines extension for Firefox.

TeeAhr1
June 5th, 2006, 02:04 AM
As far as Firefox extentions go, I did like Sage. But I'm just not a fan of the "let's turn everything into an extention" idea, it just feels like it takes up too much screen real estate. One thing I did enjoy about Liferea is the "close to tray, stay out of my way, and come back just the way I left you" feature.

tvor
March 26th, 2007, 03:47 AM
I use BlogBridge (http://www.blogbridge.com/) which runs on JAVA on all OS. Since it saves your feeds on the server, it is a great using one at work on XP and home on Ubuntu. Recommended, if you can live with running JAVA :-)