PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] what is difference between XUBUNTU & UBUNTU with XFCE?

yndesai
November 29th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I want to know what is difference between

1 . If I install XFCE on UBUNTU

and

2. I use XUBUNTU.

Will both of them run in the same lean hardware requirement ?

Thanks in Advance

73ckn797
November 29th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Installing XFCE will only add that to Ubuntu. You would have the choice on login to select XFCE or Ubuntu. Any apps installed in Ubuntu would show up in the XFCE DE.

Dual booting would give you the separate Xubuntu but no quick switching between the two via logout.

I have tried it before. Not my personal choice in either case.

yndesai
November 29th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Thanks for your input.

Sorry I could not explain my qustion properly.

Will using XFCE on ubuntu be as light on hardware
as XUBUNTU during runtime.

ie I want to use on the older m/c and I am more comfortable
with ubuntu's native applications so wanted to use XFCE + ubuntu to get speed
on my older m/c. Will it help ?

Thanks in advance

Yndesai

Rex Bouwense
November 29th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I found that Xubuntu is not as light or as fast as some people claim. When I switched to Lubuntu I got some different applications but I got the speed. Applications can be downloaded. If you start with a bloated OS and add more applications you still have a bloated OS. Plus installing XFCE will give you (in some cases) two sets of applications when there are differences and you will either live with that or un-install some.

raja.genupula
November 29th, 2011, 07:59 PM
+1 to all answers

this is the bottom line man .

Actually current version of Ubuntu needs minimum 1GB or > 1GB of RAM for better performance .

But What we have to do if we low system configurations and still loving Ubuntu ...?

So Xubuntu came to action and after that Lubuntu too.

Xubuntu and Lubuntu both are light weighted Ubuntu OS's.
Xubuntu -512 MB Of RAM
Lubuntu -256MB of RAM
needed for better performance

Ubuntu , Xubuntu, Lubuntu ....among these three the core is same , what is the difference is its default applications .all these three OS's are going to use different default applications .

for example in Ubuntu editor is Gedit and in Xubuntu it is Leafpad . Like that .

Ubuntu have its desktop Environment as Gnome and now Unity
Xubuntu have as XFCE.

this is all i can explain man , if you want more then i will try to provide more information man.

yndesai
November 30th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Thanks friends,

Let me put it this way I have tried both and are working fine on my old p4 hardware (where I managed to have 1G RAM). Finally I am using ubuntu with added on XFCE (what to do I m more used to ubuntu u c).

My submission is that I see noticeable difference in speed while starting GNOME session and an XFCE session.

Now my question was if I use xfce on ubuntu I get 2 sets of applications. But does it matter since unless i use them all at a time they can not clog my RAM.

Yes they are there on my HDD and I can let them stay there.

thanks

yndesai

raja.genupula
November 30th, 2011, 05:53 AM
No Problem man , you can use XFCE in ubunut too. Acually the graphical looks and remaining stuff going to much RAM in ubunut and then While coming to XFCE (Xubuntu desktop) it have less graphics so desktop weight will be less so automatically takes less amount of RAM .

you can freely go man .

ottosykora
November 30th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I have on one of my installs tried this.

I installed on ubuntu 11.04 XFACE and Xubuuntu desktop.

This makes 2 extra entries in the selection of sessions.

The XFACE session however did not prove useful to me as it gave me very strange desktop with lot of instabilities, this and that crashing etc.

Booting to Xubuntu session gives the nice , similar to gnome2 looking DE and works stable.

I am using Ubuntu/Xubuntu combination on most of my installs now, even on a abt 10 years old laptop.

yndesai
November 30th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Let me conclude from my own experience that since i needed
to use facilities of ubuntu (as i know where to change the settings using GUI)
I am finally using xfce on ubuntu. There is no issue as it is working faster than ubnuntu
under gnome. Whenever I need to change the settings i login using gnome session and
change them.

Not the best idea but convenient for me.

Thanks

YNDESAI

ubu2008
January 14th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I have two computers in front of me. One is running Ubuntu 11.04. The other has installed Xubuntu 11.10. I started the session Xfce on the Xubuntu machine. I run pretty much the same things on them right now for comparison. The Xubuntu with Xfce session is using 660MiB RAM. The Ubuntu 11.04 is using 700MiB. However this is after killing a rogue process in Ubuntu that hogs RAM, it is called "e-calendar factory" which if it runs for a while can use 300 MiB. ***Context: I am a programmer and so my usage of computer is for programming, not for gaming, not for surfing, not for cool looking, but for plain programming. ***My interpretation is that the difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu with Xfce and Xubuntu is negligible in terms of RAM. However in my view the difference is huge between the usability for *programmers*. I am grading usability as follows. Gnome 2.3 has 100% usability for programmers; unfortunately it was discontinued. The other Environments are rated as follows (IMHO): Unity (10% of Gnome 2.3); usability of Gnome 3.x (10% of Gnome 2.3); and usability of Gnome 2.3 (100% of Gnome 2.3) and usability of Xfce (80% of Gnome 2.x). So I feel Xfce did great job. ...Luke -- choose wisely.