PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I upgrade?

Rlemontw
November 29th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to Ubuntu. I started using it about 4 months ago. Loving it so far. I am using Maverick 10.10 and I see newer version are out 11.04 and 11.10. I am a little nervous upgrading because I do not want to lose any files. Plus reading some of the threads people seem to have trouble after upgrading. So being that I am new is it safe to upgrade or should I keep using 10.10

Thanks for any help.:D

bluexrider
November 29th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to Ubuntu. I started using it about 4 months ago. Loving it so far. I am using Maverick 10.10 and I see newer version are out 11.04 and 11.10. I am a little nervous upgrading because I do not want to lose any files. Plus reading some of the threads people seem to have trouble after upgrading. So being that I am new is it safe to upgrade or should I keep using 10.10

Thanks for any help.:D

you will find a lot of different opinions out there. from personal experience fresh installs are always better than upgrades.

if 10.10 is working for you and you are happy stay with it...

what are your reasons to upgrade

the_windwalker
November 29th, 2011, 05:28 AM
you will find a lot of different opinions out there. from personal experience fresh installs are always better than upgrades.

if 10.10 is working for you and you are happy stay with it...

what are your reasons to upgrade
I, for one, started with 10.10, and was so impressed with it, I put it on two more of my machines. When 11.04 came out, I upgraded one machine to try it. I did not upgrade the other two. When 11.10 came out, I tried upgrading the one machine that had 11.04. Now, I've wiped that machine's hard drive, and will be reloading 10.10. For me, the newer versions, are just too difficult to navigate and take too long to find what I'm looking for. I have too much work to do, I don't have the time to spend trying to locate various functions and software. I'm very sorry I did upgrade one machine, but I would not have known if I didn't do so.

sammiev
November 29th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Fresh install is always the best. I love my USB HD as I use it to back up my HD before I mess it up trying all those nasty things. LOL. If you like and enjoy your current setup and OS, just stick with it unless you want to play. :)

Dy1anW
November 29th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I was wondering about this too, but after the problems I had with upgrading from 10.04 on my laptop to 11.04 I've been quite hesitant about the latest release. Plus also, on my desktop the last thing I want to do is screw around trying to get dual screens to work properly again.