PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help

thatguy7
November 28th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I'm currently trying to install ubuntu 11.10 on a new blank hard drive as my old one crashed. I created an installation disk and tested it on othere systems and it works fine but when I try to install it in this computer it doesnt work. I have the drive selected to boot first and I even select it in the boot menu so thats not the problem. All the computer tells me is PXE-E53: No boot filename received. Any help would be REALLY appreciated.

Mark Phelps
November 29th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Unless I misunderstand what you're saying ... you can't boot from a blank drive, and I presume you know that. So, selecting the blank drive as the first boot selection is not going to work.

IF what you're really doing is booting from the CD, and the installer is not seeing the drive, then reboot, select the option to get into the BIOS screens, and confirm that the BIOS sees the new drive. IF the BIOS doesn't see it, the installer will not see it, either.

thatguy7
November 30th, 2011, 07:28 AM
When I said drive I meant disk drive lol. Also, the bios sees the new harddrive.

sophiesocks
December 2nd, 2011, 02:43 AM
I am also having this problem. I can select CD in the BIOS but it still does not boot from the cd, just black screen and blinking cursor. What can I try next?