PDA

View Full Version : Any one originally a Windows 7 user and fell in love with Ubuntu 11.10 Unity as soon

JF382
November 28th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Any one originally a Windows 7 user and fell in love with Ubuntu 11.10 Unity as soon as you used it like me? I have seen a lot of hate about Unity, but I do not see what the hate is about. I actually really like it, and hope Ubuntu continues in this direction. Do you agree? Thanks for your input.

MoonLitOwl
November 28th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Any one originally a Windows 7 user and fell in love with Ubuntu 11.10 Unity as soon as you used it like me? I have seen a lot of hate about Unity, but I do not see what the hate is about. I actually really like it, and hope Ubuntu continues in this direction. Do you agree? Thanks for your input.

I'd be another. Cheers! :guitar:

mörgæs
November 28th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I don't like it myself (and have switched to Xubuntu), but I support the direction Ubuntu is going, since a lot of users are happy with it.

The long-term goal is to have the same interface on a traditional computer, a tablet, a cellphone and what-have-you.

Munk3y
November 28th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I think it's great, as long as there are going to be more features related to customization added in the future.

BC59
November 28th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I think it's great, as long as there are going to be more features related to customization added in the future.

I totally agree

LinuxFan999
November 28th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I think Unity is good too, but need more options for customization.

LowSky
November 28th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I hate it. Unity stinks. The lack of customization drove me away.

Paqman
November 28th, 2011, 10:41 PM

That's the plan.

mick222
November 28th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I like Unity but wish there was an easier way to change between windows and see whats open

dmoconnell
November 28th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I like Unity but wish there was an easier way to change between windows and see whats open

@Mick I (personally) have a 1 app per desktop rule. then its very easy to see everything that's open, just it super + S. (it works very well when you don't have a ton of browser windows open across several desktops) but that's just me.

I've used Unity and Gnome-Shell and I like both (I also like GShell+MGSE) Unity though I like a tad better. I guess because I'm more use to it. and for those who say its not a productive desktop I highly disagree. but that is my opinion.
Dm

*^kyfds(
November 29th, 2011, 12:32 AM

i have to agree, as right now (for basic users at least) it is not easy enough to customize ubuntu - newbies have pretty much the same amount of customization power as you would get with windows right now.

i fell in love with Ubuntu when i found that windows aero wasn't compatable with my RGB adapter, and have never looked back since.

:3

YOU'RE AWESOME UBUNTU :D

Gremlinzzz
November 29th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I hate it. Unity stinks. The lack of customization drove me away.

you can add mate for customisation:popcorn:

Install Linux Mint Mate on Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

checkout the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEdmpRbDnBw

vasa1
November 29th, 2011, 04:18 PM

Hateful people hate :D but it's interesting that they keep coming here to express the hate. I wonder what they hope to achieve. They don't make that clear.

I love Unity and look forward to 12.04. Now, when I use Win 7 I feel a little lost!

Lalaith
November 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I didn't even enter on the Win7 of my newer laptop, I directly tried ubuntu and yeah, it's nice and it's useful and you can get the philosophy quite fast.

Buut I had to switch to win7 to check that some problems I had with my laptop were because of linux OS (suspend function, stable screen brightness, mousepad enable/disable impossible...).

So +1 for Ubuntu and yet -1 for Ubuntu.

click4851
November 29th, 2011, 07:27 PM
really ...lost

win 7 is fine for me, came new on my hp laptop. Used MS products since win95. Had used Ubuntu since breezy badger because it "just works", and now that it doesn't, I don't use ubuntu or should I say I don't use ubuntu/unity.

Smilax
November 29th, 2011, 07:41 PM
The long-term goal is to have the same interface on a traditional computer, a tablet, a cellphone and what-have-you.

as for me,

i don't think that's such a good idea

your never going to produce a paper on a cellphone, so why have it set up to do that.

VeeDubb
November 29th, 2011, 07:45 PM

In all seriousness, how exactly could you make it any easier?

The launcher icons, alt-tab, and workspace switcher already provide a variety of ways to switch applications and see what's open.

JF382
November 29th, 2011, 08:34 PM

The launcher icons, alt-tab, and workspace switcher already provide a variety of ways to switch applications and see what's open.

Lol, you and me both think it is easy. I have absolutely no problem getting to my Programs with 11.10

LowSky
November 29th, 2011, 09:43 PM
you can add mate for customisation:popcorn:

Install Linux Mint Mate on Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

checkout the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEdmpRbDnBw

Or.. I can switch to Arch Linux, use Gnome 3 and a few extensions, and I a very usable experience with Gnome Shell + System Monitor Extension + Presentation Mode + Weather Indicator.

The upside is I get to use a distro that is community based, not Billionaire based.

wolfen69
November 30th, 2011, 06:58 AM
This thread is getting off track as usual. Is it possible to stay on topic? There are plenty of threads in Testimonials and Experiences, and Recurring Discussions for the "extreme dislikers" to participate in.

spynappels
November 30th, 2011, 12:28 PM
All my server admin (Linux and Solaris) is done CLI from a terminal, but I love Unity. Sure there are some niggles around customising etc, but they'll be worked out.
I have to use a Windows 7 machine for work, but I run VirtualBox and do most of my work from an Ubuntu VM.

Unity has also allowed me to switch a few people to using Linux instead of the Windows OS they were struggling with due to a mixture of Low-End Hardware and Spyware/Viruses/OtherGrot.

Lucradia
December 1st, 2011, 06:11 AM
I don't like it myself (and have switched to Xubuntu), but I support the direction Ubuntu is going, since a lot of users are happy with it.

This here, I still can't warm up to unity. I also always have my Windows 7 set to classic (Windows 98 / 2000 feel.)

wolfen69
December 1st, 2011, 06:19 AM
This here, I still can't warm up to unity.

I still can't warm up to windows! Who cares? It's all opinion.

Lucradia
December 1st, 2011, 06:25 AM
I still can't warm up to windows! Who cares? It's all opinion.

And my Opinion about Xubuntu is getting worse as it progresses too. The bottom dock is so tacky now =/

beew
December 1st, 2011, 06:26 AM

What if you have a few instances of the same application minimized and you want to select one to expose with only the mouse? (a new user would expect to be able to do it with the mouse only, and not alt+tab, super + w and arbitrary key combos)

There is a bug filed here. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/896709 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/896709)

The workplace switcher doesn't switch work places, it exposes them only and then you would have to make an extra click to choose the workplace. I use ctr+alt + left/right but that is not point and click. So with many things like this it is a valid point that Unity takes many more steps to do the same thing if you use mostly point and click.

3rdalbum
December 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
What if you have a few instances of the same application minimized and you want to select one to expose with only the mouse? (a new user would expect to be able to do it with the mouse only, and not alt+tab, super + w and arbitrary key combos)

There is a bug filed here. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/896709 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/896709)

The last comment on the bug is exactly what I was going to say:

double clicking on the launcher icon (or clicking once again after the software is focussed, which the first click does) will do an expose of the running instances of the softwares, that should make them easier to browser

Give it a try.

jjex22
December 1st, 2011, 03:20 PM
One thing that does occur to me is that if Windows 8 goes out similarly to how it is in the developer preview, then, supposing that as before it comes bundled with every new PC from the major vendors... then actually new users from windows 8 will, I think switch easier to the Unity style menu - and actually find it more intuitive, than the Windows varient (and helpful - i had that POS installed for an hour before I found on google how to close a window.. sorry 'app'!)

I can understand why people dislike Unity - I suppose in the terms we're used to ,the whole of gnome 3 is more like a RC at the moment, and Unity probably shouldn't have been made default until there was an option to display a more traditional menu-ing system to keep everyone happy, but I like that Ubuntu is being bold and forward thinking - I like the idea of Unity, just not it's implementation - When it's predecessor, 10.04 netbook Edition came out I really liked that!

mamamia88
December 1st, 2011, 03:26 PM
I haven't quit windows 7 completely. I think it's a very good os but I prefer linux. I hated Unity at first on my netbook then I gave it another chance for a few weeks and loved it. That was until I had firefox, thunderbird, 2 excel spreadsheets,and a word document all open at the same time. I found it very annoying to manage all my multitasking. I switched over to xfce for now and am very happy with it.

beew
December 2nd, 2011, 02:00 AM
The last comment on the bug is exactly what I was going to say:

Give it a try.
Yeah I know that already, thank you very much. Doing that would open all the running instances (say I have 10 pdfs with 9 minimized if I click the Unity icon all 10 of them will open) If I want to have all 10 to open then I wouldn't have minimized 9 of them in the first place would I?

That is exactly why there is a bug report, there is no way, with the mouse and using the Unity bar alone, to selectively expose minimized running applications. Since this thread has something to do with Win7, let's see how they do it. In Win7 you can choose which instance to open by just hovering the mouse over the icon of the app in question and windows preview would show the different instance. Unity's windows preview shows only one running instance and in 11.04 it actually only "previews" when the window is already open! (that has been fixed in 11.10) While less sophisticated cairo dock allows you to choose which instance to open because it creates an icon for each running instance. I am sure other docks have similar features.

I am fine with alt+tab, but I am installing Ubuntu for people who are not very familiar with the OS, and I have no time to explain every hidden feature and secrete key combos to do simple thing so right now I am going for either xubuntu or lubuntu even though I use Unity myself. If Unity is aim at getting new users as they claim then it should be intuitive enough for the average user to figure out most things on his/her own. That is possible with xubuntu, lubuntu and Ubuntu with gnome 2 but not with Unity and gnome shell (except for those who only use the computer for facebook, email and internet browsing,for them there is no need for any feature but a big button for Firefox, voip and flash. but why would such people get a computer in the first place now that they can get an android or an iphone especially given that many social networking clients don't fully support Linux and flash performance is sketchy?)

WinterMadness
December 2nd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Started with 8.04 myself, quickly moved over to KDE 3. Gnome isnt terrible, but its pretty bad imo. The massive lists of programs can be hard to sort through at times, I really prefer KDE's start button>search approach

KaitlinM
December 2nd, 2011, 07:44 AM
Not sure what to think. At first, I really hated Unity but I've changed my mind. Here's why--Unity makes switching between GUI applications so much easier for me. I can use a text editor and browse these forums easily.

viperdvman
December 2nd, 2011, 08:19 AM
I'm one of those who are really liking Unity. Sure, I run WinXP on the desktop and Ubuntu 11.04 with Ubuntu Classic (GNOME 2) and KDE 4.6, but I run Win7 and Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity on the netbook, and I like running Ubuntu more than I like running Win7. Hell, I only run Win7 now for the few MMORPG's I actually play on the netbook.

I gave Unity a fair chance, and I like it very much so far :) I can't wait for 12.04 to come out, and I hope Unity gets even better and better and becomes more customizable as it progresses.

mcstat
December 2nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Unity has a nice look to it. It takes time to get used to if you were used to using Gnome 2 but now it's so natural to me. When I'm using Gnome 3 and windows I tend to think the Unity bar is present.