PDA

View Full Version : First time install order

pgjohnson
November 28th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I am about to install Mythbuntu on a virgin computer system, complete with satellite and terrestrial DVB and analogue receiver cards.

Trawling around in these forums, I note that during setup there can be interaction between the cards during the install and this has given some of you a fair amount of grief.

A couple of questions;
Is it better to leave the additional cards out of the system during install, and firstly get the basics up and settled in or will the installer cope with it all at once?

If it all works out (!) would installing a full Ubuntu system over the top of Mythbuntu be a mission?

And many thanks to you all for your help this is my first post but I have been reading extensively.

nickrout
November 28th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I am about to install Mythbuntu on a virgin computer system, complete with satellite and terrestrial DVB and analogue receiver cards.

Trawling around in these forums, I note that during setup there can be interaction between the cards during the install and this has given some of you a fair amount of grief.

A couple of questions;
Is it better to leave the additional cards out of the system during install, and firstly get the basics up and settled in or will the installer cope with it all at once?no put them all in, it's you that configures the cards in mythtv, it's quite a manual task via mythtv-setup

If it all works out (!) would installing a full Ubuntu system over the top of Mythbuntu be a mission?

And many thanks to you all for your help this is my first post but I have been reading extensively.

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

But not a good idea, it's an appliance, not a desktop. Leave it as designed.

ian dobson
November 28th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Hi,

Start simple, get one tuner up and running then add the other ones afterwards. You could try will everything at once but you might get confused which tuner is which device.

You know that mythbuntu is just ubuntu with mythtv/video extras and a nice configuration tool. So whatever you can install into ubuntu, you can install in mythbuntu.

Regards
Ian Dobson

pgjohnson
November 28th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Many thanks - I'll shove in a single card and go fom there.

Yes I appreciate that the device is an appliance but I know what I am like re fiddling and 'improving' things. Sooner or later it will be a fully-fledged multi-booting OS - that's what life's about ... isn't it?

nickrout
November 29th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Many thanks - I'll shove in a single card and go fom there.

Yes I appreciate that the device is an appliance but I know what I am like re fiddling and 'improving' things. Sooner or later it will be a fully-fledged multi-booting OS - that's what life's about ... isn't it?

How can it be recording TV or providing playback to the other end of the house if you are booted into another OS.

pgjohnson
November 29th, 2011, 02:33 AM
How can it be recording TV or providing playback to the other end of the house if you are booted into another OS.

Like I say- that's what life's about - doing what other's only wonder at. :)