PDA

View Full Version : Added to 10.04 & Lost Desktop

lswartz
November 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I added Mythbuntu to Existing Ubuntu Install & have lost most of my desktop. I can only see the clock. Applications, Places & System are not on the panel. Is there a way to recover the desktop or just remove Mythbuntu so I don't lose my old install of 10.04? It is a dual boot 10.04 & Win XP & some of my files are locked so that I can't move them to Windows plus I would lose all my bookmarks.

It would have been better to try Mythbuntu as a clean install on a new HD or backup 1st.

nickrout
November 29th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I added Mythbuntu to Existing Ubuntu Install & have lost most of my desktop. I can only see the clock. Applications, Places & System are not on the panel. Is there a way to recover the desktop or just remove Mythbuntu so I don't lose my old install of 10.04? It is a dual boot 10.04 & Win XP & some of my files are locked so that I can't move them to Windows plus I would lose all my bookmarks.

It would have been better to try Mythbuntu as a clean install on a new HD or backup 1st.

I assume you installed mythbuntu-desktop, which defaults to xfce instead of gnome.

You have lost nothing, choose gnome instead of xfce when you log in.

lswartz
November 29th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Thanks, but there was noting to log into, only the clock showed. I fixed it another way & deleted the mythbuntu partion. I might try again sometime on a empty HD.