PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Issues after installing Kubuntu-desktop over Ubuntu!

T.exe
November 28th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hello Friends!

I recently installed KDE plasma over my Ubuntu 11.10 using:
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Here are some issues I am facing with KDE:

1. I cannot create/download folders, icons and files on my desktop. But I can see them when i view the Desktop folder using file manager. In the real desktop it does not show up although it gets created in the desktop folder!!

2. My wallpaper gets changed to the default KDE wallpaper everytime I boot.

3. And most importantly I have NAUTILUS co-existing with KDE's DOLPHIN. So, the Ubuntu-specific applications like UBUNTU SOFTWARE CENTER, SYNAPTIC, etc appear in a Windows98 like fashion i.e in low graphics. (I have uploaded a snapshot of Nautilus and Dolphin side-by-side to make the comparison)

I would like to know:

- Solution to the above Issues.

- Whether I should remove Nautilus for good.

- Whether DOLPHIN would be able to open Ubuntu applications like Ubuntu Software Center, Synaptic etc.

- If there is any KDE tweak tools available, because I have used Unity, GNOME3 and recently changed to KDE and liked it much more than the above two and hence I do not have any intention to abandon KDE for sometime!

THANK YOU in ADVANCE!

Ravi5kumar
November 28th, 2011, 12:18 PM
First I want to tell you that installing Kubuntu-desktop over ubuntu is not a good idea:!:. It will surely cause some (or too many) problems. I previously installed Kubuntu-desktop over ubuntu 11.10 and got several issues and many similar issues like yours. So I have reinstalled Ubuntu 11.10 again](*,)!. And if you really like KDE desktop environment, why not you install Kubuntu:confused:? It is the same ubuntu but with KDE plasma desktop interface.

If there is any KDE tweak tools available, because I have used Unity, GNOME3 and recently changed to KDE and liked it much more than the above two and hence I do not have any intention to abandon KDE for sometime!

Probably NO, I think;).

T.exe
November 28th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I have installed ADEPT now.. the default KDE package manager.

However any help on creation on folders, files on the desktop would be appreciated.. Thank you!

T.exe
November 28th, 2011, 02:14 PM
First I want to tell you that installing Kubuntu-desktop over ubuntu is not a good idea:!:. It will surely cause some (or too many) problems. I previously installed Kubuntu-desktop over ubuntu 11.10 and got several issues and many similar issues like yours. So I have reinstalled Ubuntu 11.10 again](*,)!. And if you really like KDE desktop environment, why not you install Kubuntu:confused:? It is the same ubuntu but with KDE plasma desktop interface.

Probably NO, I think;).

Is it so? Well.. I thought that it won't cause so much trouble because I went through certain forums where they considered installation of KDE on Ubuntu via the command 'sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop'

Perhaps I'll have to some how manage all the issues, I can't really remove my present installation and re-install Kubuntu!

Anyways.. Thanks a ton for your reply!:)

Bucky Ball
November 28th, 2011, 02:30 PM
KDE desktop is the wrong move. If you wanted to use the KDE desktop environment you only need to install KDE, not the desktop also (that drags in EVERYTHING, all Kubuntu packages, etc., many of which are gonna conflict with Ubuntu's native Gnome (or Unity) environment).

I would uninstall KDE desktop and if you really want to use KDE, install just that. You can then choose it at the login screen from 'Sessions'. (I would personally recommend installing Xfce4 DE and watch your machine fly! A beautiful, elegant, sleek thing; but each to their own.)

Have fun and good luck ...

T.exe
November 28th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Thank You BUCKY BALL...

I'll look into XFCE4 right now...

I guess it was me who wasted up my laptop.. i guess i'll need to do a lot of re-installing and removing :p

I'll mark this thread as solved! Thank you all....

Bucky Ball
November 28th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Cool. Xfce4 is easily installable and doesn't drag in all the Xubuntu packages (you would install Xubuntu-desktop to do that, as you have probably surmised). Then you choose from 'Sessions' at login. ;)