PDA

View Full Version : Something about Ubuntu I did not know.

JF382
November 28th, 2011, 08:52 AM
If your on a Windows machine hold your Windows key and then you will see numbers come up on your icons. You can launch the program by holding Windows key + the program number on the unity sidebar. If the program is already opened, Shift + the program Number will open a brand new Window of the program. I like this a lot! Very nice feature. :D

crazy bird
November 28th, 2011, 10:48 AM
If your on a Windows machine hold your Windows key and then you will see numbers come up on your icons. You can launch the program by holding Windows key + the program number on the unity sidebar. If the program is already opened, Shift + the program Number will open a brand new Window of the program. I like this a lot! Very nice feature. :D

You're talking about Windows and your subject title indicates something else. Do you mean that holding down the Windows key and pressing a number works under Ubuntu???

JF382
November 28th, 2011, 10:49 AM
You're talking about Windows and your subject title indicates something else. Do you mean that holding down the Windows key and pressing a number works under Ubuntu???

Yes that is what I meant. Just found this out today, this thread is about Ubuntu, I do not know what you are talking about.

coffeecat
November 28th, 2011, 11:01 AM
@JF382, if you find that keyboard shortcut useful, there are more. :) Have a look here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/28086/what-are-unitys-keyboard-and-mouse-shortcuts

That link was published for 11.04 but it is still useful and includes a wallpaper with keyboard shortcuts. You might find this link helpful too:

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu-help/index.html

Good luck!

crazy bird
November 28th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Yes that is what I meant. Just found this out today, this thread is about Ubuntu, I do not know what you are talking about.

Nice! I'll try that out this evening!

cerda
November 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM
What I like most about these keyboard shortcuts is that they do work on the number pad (unlike Windows). It's really nice !! you can "group" your apps in groups of 3, i do it like 1,2,3 for browser file manager and email 4,5,6 for chat, gwiber, music 7,8,9 documents, sheets, gimp.
Once your head gets used to it (and that does NOT take long) you're gonna FLY on multitasking.

t0p
November 28th, 2011, 01:12 PM
My "windows button" must be broke or summat, coz i don't get no numbers... :(

3rdalbum
November 28th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Or you're using Ubuntu 10.04 which doesn't have Unity :-)

forrestcupp
November 28th, 2011, 03:32 PM
this thread is about Ubuntu, I do not know what you are talking about.

Lol. What he was talking about was that in your original post, you said "If you're on a Windows machine..." and you never mentioned Ubuntu at all. I was kind of confused, too.

JF382
November 28th, 2011, 08:55 PM
@JF382, if you find that keyboard shortcut useful, there are more. :) Have a look here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/28086/what-are-unitys-keyboard-and-mouse-shortcuts

That link was published for 11.04 but it is still useful and includes a wallpaper with keyboard shortcuts. You might find this link helpful too:

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu-help/index.html

Good luck!

I will definitely check those out, thank you so much. Love keyboard shortcuts.

JF382
November 28th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Lol. What he was talking about was that in your original post, you said "If you're on a Windows machine..." and you never mentioned Ubuntu at all. I was kind of confused, too.

Lol that makes sense. Sorry, I should of made that more clear. I did not mean disrespect to him though in any way. Yeah I was just meaning if your on a Windows machine it would be Windows key, the reason I brought Windows up is because I was not sure if this feature was available on Mac also. I would think it would be just under a different key. Have a good day.

JF382
November 28th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Nice! I'll try that out this evening!

Just curious. Did it work for you?

JF382
November 28th, 2011, 09:05 PM
What I like most about these keyboard shortcuts is that they do work on the number pad (unlike Windows). It's really nice !! you can "group" your apps in groups of 3, i do it like 1,2,3 for browser file manager and email 4,5,6 for chat, gwiber, music 7,8,9 documents, sheets, gimp.
Once your head gets used to it (and that does NOT take long) you're gonna FLY on multitasking.

Yeah, multitasking is a piece of cake with Unity.

JF382
November 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Or you're using Ubuntu 10.04 which doesn't have Unity :-)

Yes, I think the keyboard shortcuts only work in Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity.

Have a good day.

JF382
November 28th, 2011, 09:08 PM

Hold it for 3-5 seconds, and numbers SHOULD pop up on the Unity sidebar.

tersogar
November 28th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Lol that makes sense. Sorry, I should of made that more clear. I did not mean disrespect to him though in any way. Yeah I was just meaning if your on a Windows machine it would be Windows key, the reason I brought Windows up is because I was not sure if this feature was available on Mac also. I would think it would be just under a different key. Have a good day.

To avoid confusion I suggest to use PC instead of windows machine even thou you clearly refer to Ubuntu when Unity was mention, so I was able to understand what you where talking about.

JF382
November 28th, 2011, 11:06 PM
To avoid confusion I suggest to use PC instead of windows machine even thou you clearly refer to Ubuntu when Unity was mention, so I was able to understand what you where talking about.

Will do, sorry to confuse anybody.

forrestcupp
November 29th, 2011, 03:32 PM

Yeah, I must have skimmed over the word unity when I was confused. :)

Lalaith
November 29th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Really nice! Love it :D

BC59
November 30th, 2011, 11:42 PM
It's clear that Canonical is in love with the keyboard.

The problem is that the users are in love with the mouse.

Thewhistlingwind
December 1st, 2011, 12:16 AM
What about the super key?

BlacqWolf
December 1st, 2011, 03:30 AM
What about the super key?

Super is the Windows key.

Thewhistlingwind
December 1st, 2011, 03:33 AM
Super is the Windows key.

Sadly tone and inflection are not easily conveyed through text.

If I were to post a .ogg, it would become apparent that I was joking about him calling it the "windows key".

BlacqWolf
December 1st, 2011, 04:09 AM
Sadly tone and inflection are not easily conveyed through text.

If I were to post a .ogg, it would become apparent that I was joking about him calling it the "windows key".

Oh. Sorry for the misunderstanding.