PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Unity

aishsarathy
November 28th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Hi All,

The unity --replace command that i give to get my application's icon on the system tray under Ubuntu Unity 11.04, the screen blanks out for couple of seconds before it takes effect.
This happens when the command is given on pressing Alt+F2 .

When given in the command prompt , the screen shakes for a second before it takes effect

Is this the consistent behaviour?
Is there a way out to this problem?

crazy bird
November 28th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I can't provide you with the correct answer since i'm not using Ubuntu with Unity (i really dislike that cheap tablet desktop look) but i want to give you 1 tip:

Do not mutlipost the same question: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1887861. It is very confusing to everyone where to post and where to look for the correct answer.

aishsarathy
November 28th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Yea shall not repost

Copper Bezel
November 28th, 2011, 09:14 AM
What application is asking you to run unity --replace in the first place? That's not a normal behavior. It's normal that there's a pause and some jitter when you run the command, because it's restarting the compositor and reapplying all your window manager settings, etc. But you shouldn't have to run that command at all in ordinary use.

aishsarathy
November 28th, 2011, 10:15 AM
To be more clear.

I am developing an application using wxwidgets and under Ubuntu Classic, the icon of my application in the tray.
But under Unity , it neither comes in the launcher nor in the tray.
To make it come to the tray , I need to use
gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist “['all']“
along with unity --replace for it to take effect.

But unity --replace is not consistent , it at times crashes.

Is there a way to get outta this?