PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Help with Windows placement on GNOME 3

Ravi5kumar
November 28th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Hi, whenever I open any application or a folder in GNOME 3 it just opened in top left corner of the screen. I just want it to remember the last position, but if it not possible then they at least opened it center of the screen.It troubles me, because every time I have to drag a app into center.:( In unity, I can configure the placement of windows in centered by changing the setting in Compiz setting manager>windows management>place windows> placement mode 'Centered'. Since Gnome 3 can't be controlled by Compiz:(, so is there any app which can do this? I mean configuring the placement of windows in Center of the screen in GNOME 3.

And sorry for my English.

thaelim
November 28th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Somebody may correct me, but I believe as it stands there is no way to configure the window placement in Gnome Shell. Shell leaves it down to each application - if the application requests a specific X/Y origin, the window is placed there. If not, Shell attempts to place the window in the best location (using some rules to determine the location likely to cover the smallest number of existing windows).

Ravi5kumar
November 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I think it is a bug. Not a bug in Gnome 3 but in applications.I think you are saying if a app remembers its last opened position then it is fine. But if not then Gnome puts in top left side of the screen. If yes, then this truly pains me. I use windows previously and many applications remembered their last position and some minor applications don't. But in case of Linux, the app developer doesn't implement the function of remembering application last opened position(I think). As a result there exists many applications (also which are popular) don't remember their last position. Only some apps remember their last position. So looks like I have to move back to unity.