PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Compiz problem...

Plasma_NZ
November 28th, 2011, 05:24 AM
ok basically im another who hates unity..

so running gnome fallback session...

go to turn on compiz and no matter what settings i use i get this problem

http://iforce.co.nz/i/asmg1pz5.u3q.png

Im using up-to-date drivers..

Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

anyhow help would be awesome...

have also tried options of --sm-disable --indirect-rendering - nothing seems to help... disables all plugins in compiz etc.. still the same problem...

bluexrider
November 28th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Try resetting compiz to its defaults:
sudo gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz

sudo reboot --

Plasma_NZ
November 28th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Try resetting compiz to its defaults:
sudo gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz

sudo reboot --

Tried that, hasnt helped.... at this rate im going to revert back to 11.04, that worked flawlessly along with 10.10, but having nothing but issues with 11.10

if i could get this fixed everything will be sweet

thetruckinglife
November 28th, 2011, 05:40 AM
well i reverted back to 10.10 and Compiz Fusion works flawless.
after having so many screen freezes with 11.04 and 11.10 it was the thing to do.

bluexrider
November 28th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Yeah, had similar issues. I removed compiz completely but it didn't feel right so I moved back to 11.04

Plasma_NZ
November 28th, 2011, 05:43 AM
well i reverted back to 10.10 and Compiz Fusion works flawless.
after having so many screen freezes with 11.04 and 11.10 it was the thing to do.

well i dont really want to revert back personally... 11.10 works fine for everything else except this compiz issue... once i have this resolved i'll be a happy camper....

thetruckinglife
November 28th, 2011, 06:02 AM
well i dont really want to revert back personally... 11.10 works fine for everything else except this compiz issue... once i have this resolved i'll be a happy camper....

yeah 11.10 works fine if you leave it alone ;)
i just like how easily 10.10 can be customized as i am one that will have a different theme every week.
besides its easier on the hardware in my older desktop that was designed for MS XP.

typhoon_tip
November 28th, 2011, 06:50 AM

What video card and what video driver are you using ? Open Source driver or Proprietary driver ?

Plasma_NZ
November 28th, 2011, 07:53 AM
What video card and what video driver are you using ? Open Source driver or Proprietary driver ?

i've tried, current and post and proprietary - all with the same results...

Video card is a Nvidia GTS 250 - the card is in mint condition as is the rest of my hardware....

vangop
November 28th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I'd check ~/.xsession-errors, or /var/log/Xorg*log , dmesg?
Anything unusual there?
I've installed compiz on top of xubuntu 11.10, as well as on bare X. Works great.

Plasma_NZ
November 28th, 2011, 10:28 AM
ok fresh install, using the gfx drivers from the install, have compiz setup nicely, albeit it seems the compiz plugins are the older ones, e.g there are no options tab in expo, or in place windows...

am about to install the "recommended addtional drivers" from ubuntu.... will report if that causes a issue..

Plasma_NZ
November 28th, 2011, 10:34 AM
ok fresh install, using the gfx drivers from the install, have compiz setup nicely, albeit it seems the compiz plugins are the older ones, e.g there are no options tab in expo, or in place windows...

am about to install the "recommended addtional drivers" from ubuntu.... will report if that causes a issue..

So far so good, no issues... apart from compiz using the old plugins, which is a real pain as i cannot use place-windows like i did previously..

If i can fixed expo and place-windows plugins - i'm all sorted..

Plasma_NZ
November 28th, 2011, 10:50 AM
For some reason i have no idea how its happened...

but this is the place windows plugin - its completely different to previous install, missing alot of options....

http://iforce.co.nz/i/e2tewbjt.nf2.png

And this here is the epxo plugin - once again missing lots of options...

both these plugins should have tabs up the top with different setting options....

http://iforce.co.nz/i/3ts5bdog.qnx.png

Any ideas how i can updates these plugins without breaking compiz..?

typhoon_tip
November 28th, 2011, 10:57 AM
For some reason i have no idea how its happened...

but this is the place windows plugin - its completely different to previous install, missing alot of options....

http://iforce.co.nz/i/e2tewbjt.nf2.png

And this here is the epxo plugin - once again missing lots of options...

both these plugins should have tabs up the top with different setting options....

http://iforce.co.nz/i/3ts5bdog.qnx.png

Any ideas how i can updates these plugins without breaking compiz..?

I'm lost... How can it be a fresh install with that bar on the left ? Have you already tweaked it before starting checking compiz ? Are you using Unity or fallback session ?

Plasma_NZ
November 28th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I'm lost... How can it be a fresh install with that bar on the left ? Have you already tweaked it before starting checking compiz ? Are you using Unity or fallback session ?

Fresh install, in a gnome-fallback-session - have installed avant, but from the very word go, the compiz plugins seemed to differ from last installed, irony is i've used the same method as last time...

im a little confused myself why the plugins seem to be different this time round..

Plasma_NZ
November 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Ok...

I have found what causes the problem that i originally posted...

Basically when u install gnome-tweak-tool - then in the option of

Desktop - "Have file manager handle desktop" - if i turn it off, i get that horrible clipping...

how can i turn it off and not get the clipping...?

thetruckinglife
November 28th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I'd check ~/.xsession-errors, or /var/log/Xorg*log , dmesg?
Anything unusual there?
I've installed compiz on top of xubuntu 11.10, as well as on bare X. Works great.

i still suggest Maverick 10.10 :KS
i am really getting this Compiz fusion tweeked now learning how to set all the extra effects is cool.
i almost went and installed Windows 8 Developer Preview.
hope you get things worked out tho,i know your frustrations.

Plasma_NZ
November 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Well my setup is now up to date and complete, everything runs flawlessly - just cannot remove the file-manager bar up the top until someone can tell me how to stop the clipping when i disable that bar.... apart from that... 11.10 is pretty good when u use gnome-shell and not unity...

Plasma_NZ
December 2nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Not sure what happened.. fresh reinstall fixed the problem...

as for the clipping error, there seems to be a bug between ubuntu/compiz/gnome-tweak-tool

in gnome-tweak-tool - then u select

Desktop > file manager handle desktop > off

causes the clipping problem... bug has been filed with launchpad and gnome-tweak-tool...

marking thread as solved...