PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need a Windows-like Environment for 11.10, what are my options?

Amurko
November 27th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I just can't get used to the Unity desktop environment I'm FORCED to used when I upgraded to 11.10. These are the features that I have no desire to adapt to:

1) No taskbar at the bottom of screen where you switch between windows (like in Windows.)
2) No working system tray
3) No "start menu" or equivalent at the bottom left corner.

Either Unity needs to be customized to accommodate all of the above or I'll need to use another environment. What are my options?

JazzPotato
November 27th, 2011, 07:30 PM
You can go KDE, a de i used for a while back when i used arch. It's really nice and polished, and fluent, and it has some tasty widgets! I think this might help you get kde 4 :
http://it-diary.com/linux/ubuntu-linux/install-kde-plasma-desktop-ubuntu-11-10/

Or you can use Xfce or Lxde. I'm not sure if there is a way to get these on ubuntu, but they also fit the criteria you are looking for. They are more lightweight and have less eye-candy. I prefer xfce out of these but some also use lxde. i experimented with the all in arch! atm i'm using gnome3, which is a little like unity but imo sexier and better for multitasking.

Have a gander at kubuntu (kde environment), xubuntu (xfce environment) and lubuntu (lxde environment) on you tube. They are all forks of ubuntu using the respectice des. Or use linux mint which looks like windows but is a fork of ubuntu with gnome2.
Thanks

sudodus
November 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Yes you can install them along with the default desktop environment

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install lxde but it might be a good idea to do a fresh install of
Kubuntu (powerful)
Lubuntu (very light-weight) or
Xubuntu (light-weight)

But before deciding, run [KLX]ubuntu live from a CD or USB drive to test it :-)

tijs14tijs
November 27th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Use the new version of Linux Mint, this one supports all your requested features.:D More people who complaint about unity switched to this. Although I prefer Ubuntu and no dockbar at the bottom.

+1 me if you like my answer :P

neu5eeCh
November 27th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Mint 12 was just released, so that's a good direction.

You can also do what I did, install Cairo Dock (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1885315) as a desktop environment in and of itself. Using Cairo Dock, AWN and even docky, you should be able to get a good desktop. Also, you can install Mint's MSGE in Ubuntu (http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/linux-distributions/linux-distributions4-ubuntu/1975-install-linuxmint12-extensio).

thetruckinglife
November 28th, 2011, 12:19 AM
why not just use Maverick Meerkat? its only a year old and easy to customize :)

arpanaut
November 28th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Take a look at this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1886799

tersogar
November 28th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Also you can try a fallback.

3rdalbum
November 28th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I just can't get used to the Unity desktop environment I'm FORCED to used when I upgraded to 11.10.

That's patently ridiculous. You've always been free to switch desktop environment on Ubuntu. Just because Unity is the default, doesn't mean that you were forced to use it; any more than you were "forced" to use Gnome 2 in previous versions.

These are the features that I have no desire to adapt to:

1) No taskbar at the bottom of screen where you switch between windows (like in Windows.)
2) No working system tray
3) No "start menu" or equivalent at the bottom left corner

It sounds like what you really want is Windows XP until the end of time, but if you really want these things you could use Gnome Session Fallback (hint: alt-right-click the panels), XFCE or KDE.

Computing is a fast-moving industry though, and if you can't adapt you will probably be left out in the cold at some point in the future. Windows is moving away from "taskbar and Start button" and Unity is actually far more moderate in its changes than Windows 8 will be.

You'll probably find you can adapt to Unity within a week; and then you'll be able to quickly adapt to anything.

Copper Bezel
November 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Windows is moving away from "taskbar and Start button" and Unity is actually far more moderate in its changes than Windows 8 will be.
Indeed, there's very little in Unity that isn't in Windows 7, which has a dock in place of a task bar, too.

And the difference between the Windows 7 Start Menu and the Unity Dash is minuscule, functionally.

Ravi5kumar
November 28th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Hi, I faced the same problem as you faced;). Unity is best suited for touchscreen and tablets but not for me. So,I installed Gnome 3 and Linux mint extension, which added a bottom panel. Now I can easily switch between open applications just like in gnome 2:p. Here is screen shot of my desktop. If you prefer lightweight Gnome 2 like interface then install MATE desktop environment which is a fork of Gnome 2. Go here http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/11/how-to-install-gnome-2-fork-mate.html to install MATE.