PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] why doesn't Ubuntu allow you to downgrade?

cmb271
November 27th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Ubuntu 11.04 wasn't working out for me Unity isn't user friendly to me, I wonder why does ubuntu allow users to upgrade on update manager but not downgrade. I wish i didn't need to downgrade and move files and replace programs. Why doesn't Ubuntu allow Users to downgrade.

dabl
November 27th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Why doesn't Ubuntu allow Users to downgrade.

You are not prohibited from downgrading. Take your 10.10 Live or Alternate CD, and install it, and poof you are downgraded!

2F4U
November 27th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Can you name an OS that allows you to downgrade? I know of none. Even upgrading is a pretty complicated process and not every Linux distributions allows it.

oldfred
November 27th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I have installed every version since 6.06. From 6.06 to about 9.04 I did upgrades in place, but with 9.10 I changed to 64 bit and did a clean install. I was sold on the idea of new installs. New 640GB drive gave me extra space and I now have every clean install since 9.10 in a new 25GB partition. With 640GB I may end up with a lot of 25GB installs.:) I still boot Maverick, partially due to not adjusting to Unity, but primarily as my spouse was complaining about too many changes every 6 months. But I already have one copy of 12.04 installed to experiment with as I will upgrade to it, I expect.

Some of the settings in /home and some new programs may not be available to reinstall in a downgrade, but you may be able to do it the same way. My backup plan is to have all the data & settings I need for a new install.
Oldfred's list of stuff to backup May 2011:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1748541